Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First year at the Oilseed rape

Quote Originally Posted by alclosier View Post
    Move some brood up in the centre to encourage them up.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    Hi thanks for the reply. I had moved one frame up when I added the brood box, I will check next week again when I do my 7 day inspection. Im sure I read somewhere that putting the second brood box under the main one will get them to move down and encourage the moving of the nectar into the super is this correct ????

Quote Originally Posted by gwizzie View Post
    Hi everyone, just a small update on the bees at the OSR. Well I have added their second brood box last week and they have draw out the foundation nicely BUT they seem to be filling in with nectar! I have added a super to each hive.

My question is this will they move the nectar up into the super? as I don't want nectar filled brood frames...
    Quote Originally Posted by alclosier View Post
    Move some brood up in the centre to encourage them up.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    That they've drawn out and started to fill the second brood is enough, personally I'd leave them to move up when they're ready, they surely will when the time is right for them. Once she's up they'll whoosh through the super and push on when the slabs of brood in the second box gets sealed, this seams to be happening with my bees anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by gwizzie View Post
    Hi thanks for the reply. I had moved one frame up when I added the brood box, I will check next week again when I do my 7 day inspection. Im sure I read somewhere that putting the second brood box under the main one will get them to move down and encourage the moving of the nectar into the super is this correct ????
    No that's wrong bees move up

Sent from my LIFETAB_S1034X using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

As mbc says, don't try to over-manage. They'll move into a super and relocate stores upwards in time - if they have the oomff to build well into the second brood box.

Yes, bees work upwards when you give them space up there. Once they have accepted the space as useful. Then as they fill it with stores (at this time of year) they work out the way and down. Their aim is to have stores over their heads and elsewhere where there is space not needed for other purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by mbc View Post
    That they've drawn out and started to fill the second brood is enough, personally I'd leave them to move up when they're ready, they surely will when the time is right for them. Once she's up they'll whoosh through the super and push on when the slabs of brood in the second box gets sealed, this seams to be happening with my bees anyway.
    Hi mbc, thanks for the reply, I have had a quick check today as I was out that way and decided to have a quick look to see how they were doing and to my delight 2 of the hives have started filling the second brood box with brood and there are bees in the super. So all looking good going to move another 3 hives to the OSR on fri/Sat weather permitting.

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    No that's wrong bees move up

Sent from my LIFETAB_S1034X using Tapatalk
    Yep your right typing error on my part LOL fingers and brain not in gear....

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    As mbc says, don't try to over-manage. They'll move into a super and relocate stores upwards in time - if they have the oomff to build well into the second brood box.

Yes, bees work upwards when you give them space up there. Once they have accepted the space as useful. Then as they fill it with stores (at this time of year) they work out the way and down. Their aim is to have stores over their heads and elsewhere where there is space not needed for other purposes.
    Hi Gav, thanks for the input and yes I know they move up and around utilizing their space, moving one or two frames up does encourage the bees to move into the second box quicker and it works or should I say it has for me this time lol...

When I go to double brood, I usually split the brood to have half in the top box above the remainder below. This gives them space to expand sideways as they wish.

I've never tried splitting 50:50 but instead just encourage them with one frame in the middle perhaps. If all is well they'll move up fast enough. Once the top box is bulging with brood there should be space appearing down below, so I often then switch the boxes ...

... which is about where I am now so I've just dusted off the Cloake board ... brace yourselves ladies