Thread: First year at the Oilseed rape

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by gwizzie View Post
    Hi everyone, just a small update on the bees at the OSR. Well I have added their second brood box last week and they have draw out the foundation nicely BUT they seem to be filling in with nectar! I have added a super to each hive.

My question is this will they move the nectar up into the super? as I don't want nectar filled brood frames...
    Quote Originally Posted by alclosier View Post
    Move some brood up in the centre to encourage them up.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    That they've drawn out and started to fill the second brood is enough, personally I'd leave them to move up when they're ready, they surely will when the time is right for them. Once she's up they'll whoosh through the super and push on when the slabs of brood in the second box gets sealed, this seams to be happening with my bees anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by mbc View Post
    That they've drawn out and started to fill the second brood is enough, personally I'd leave them to move up when they're ready, they surely will when the time is right for them. Once she's up they'll whoosh through the super and push on when the slabs of brood in the second box gets sealed, this seams to be happening with my bees anyway.
    Hi mbc, thanks for the reply, I have had a quick check today as I was out that way and decided to have a quick look to see how they were doing and to my delight 2 of the hives have started filling the second brood box with brood and there are bees in the super. So all looking good going to move another 3 hives to the OSR on fri/Sat weather permitting.