Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where to get a Smith Hive

A bit of care stops you crushing bees. Never really got the top versus bottom bee space argument although I understand all the pro and con arguments so please don't repeat them for my benefit. You learn to work with what you've got. Can't imagine ever wanting to hold a frame of bees in the palm of my hand - national or smith. The point I was making is I find national frames less of a fiddle to remove and replace.

If you are using Payne's poly nucs Smith frames are a good option to avoid squashing bees where there are no frame rails

Sent from my LIFETAB_S1034X using Tapatalk

I heard that Chainbridge Honey Farm now have their own Smith poly mould. Tip.

Short lugs are no issue for most of the World who use Langstroths and personally I find the long lug a pain but there you are, one size don't suit all.

PH

Quote Originally Posted by Poly Hive View Post
    I heard that Chainbridge Honey Farm now have their own Smith poly mould.
    The Robson Green tv episode showed a poly super on the back of their truck, interestingly, it appeared to have the same footprint as the wooden smith boxes that it was stacked with.

Short lugs are no issue for most of the World who use Langstroths and personally I find the long lug a pain but there you are, one size don't suit all.
    Yes, the result of bad eductaion; continuing to instill the idea that the lugs are frame handles.

I heard that Chainbridge Honey Farm now have their own Smith poly mould.
    A good view of them (I assume) here too:

Top bee space is simply more efficient when working numbers of hives. Denrosa dumped their National unit as it was more efficient to have rectangular hives than square ones due to how they stacked on their trucks. When working large scale the little factors stack up and TBS is one of them.

PH