Thread: Where to get a Smith Hive

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by drumgerry View Post
    Seriously wouldn't waste my money on full priced Thorne's hives. I've only got experience of Caddon Nationals and they are perfectly fine. Decent quality timber and the parts fitted together well. I might avoid Mann Lake for Nationals. I bought a few of their brood boxes last year and over winter one of them has split along the grain and it's not even outside in use yet!
    Someone did point out the Thorne's stuff was quite expensive and looking it the Thorne's Smith Hive doesn't say what it's made from, though I assume Cedar as that's what's listed elsewhere, whilst the Caddon one is made of Red Cedar and they are local to me which is why I was leaning that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Aramoro View Post
    Someone did point out the Thorne's stuff was quite expensive and looking it the Thorne's Smith Hive doesn't say what it's made from, though I assume Cedar as that's what's listed elsewhere, whilst the Caddon one is made of Red Cedar and they are local to me which is why I was leaning that way.
    Caddon say on their site " Unlike the national and WBC, these Smith hives may have a few Knots in the wood"
    I'm knot (sic) sure why that would be but £110 for a complete cedar hive with 2 supers is pretty good

The sweinty poly national can be converted to top bee space and fit smiths poly with some simple mods. They're a fraction of the cost

Or...if you're just starting out get Swienty poly Nationals and save yourself the bother! (Smith short lugs are a pita in my opinion)

Not nearly so much a pita as bottom bee space and the short lug in this case will stop you crushing bees.
    I've never really understood the secure grip argument unless you want to hold it in the palm of your hand

Quote Originally Posted by nemphlar View Post
    I've never really understood the secure grip argument
    Agreed, they're hangers not handles.

A bit of care stops you crushing bees. Never really got the top versus bottom bee space argument although I understand all the pro and con arguments so please don't repeat them for my benefit. You learn to work with what you've got. Can't imagine ever wanting to hold a frame of bees in the palm of my hand - national or smith. The point I was making is I find national frames less of a fiddle to remove and replace.