Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to get a Smith Hive

Default Where to get a Smith Hive

I'm just starting out and I'm looking at getting a Smith Hive, obviously you can get them from Thornes but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with Caddon Hives? Or are there any other manufacturers/suppliers that people would recommend?

A friend bought WBCs from Caddon and was delighted with the quality.

Seriously wouldn't waste my money on full priced Thorne's hives. I've only got experience of Caddon Nationals and they are perfectly fine. Decent quality timber and the parts fitted together well. I might avoid Mann Lake for Nationals. I bought a few of their brood boxes last year and over winter one of them has split along the grain and it's not even outside in use yet!

Hi aramoro
    I use Smith hives
    Most are from Thornes
    Quite a few from the sale which goes on at the end of the season
    I did buy some Baltic pine ones but that wasn't a good idea they warped a lot

There are lots of good things about cedar hives and Smiths in particular but there's no getting away from the cost implications
    That's one reason why people are moving away from wood

The area to watch when assembling a Smith hive is the rebated top edge
    The finger joints need to be snug but not too tight or that edge can split away

Sent from my LIFETAB_S1034X using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by drumgerry View Post
    Seriously wouldn't waste my money on full priced Thorne's hives. I've only got experience of Caddon Nationals and they are perfectly fine. Decent quality timber and the parts fitted together well. I might avoid Mann Lake for Nationals. I bought a few of their brood boxes last year and over winter one of them has split along the grain and it's not even outside in use yet!
    Someone did point out the Thorne's stuff was quite expensive and looking it the Thorne's Smith Hive doesn't say what it's made from, though I assume Cedar as that's what's listed elsewhere, whilst the Caddon one is made of Red Cedar and they are local to me which is why I was leaning that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Aramoro View Post
    Someone did point out the Thorne's stuff was quite expensive and looking it the Thorne's Smith Hive doesn't say what it's made from, though I assume Cedar as that's what's listed elsewhere, whilst the Caddon one is made of Red Cedar and they are local to me which is why I was leaning that way.
    Caddon say on their site " Unlike the national and WBC, these Smith hives may have a few Knots in the wood"
    I'm knot (sic) sure why that would be but £110 for a complete cedar hive with 2 supers is pretty good

The sweinty poly national can be converted to top bee space and fit smiths poly with some simple mods. They're a fraction of the cost

Or...if you're just starting out get Swienty poly Nationals and save yourself the bother! (Smith short lugs are a pita in my opinion)

Not nearly so much a pita as bottom bee space and the short lug in this case will stop you crushing bees.
    I've never really understood the secure grip argument unless you want to hold it in the palm of your hand

Quote Originally Posted by nemphlar View Post
    I've never really understood the secure grip argument
    Agreed, they're hangers not handles.