Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Queen not laying

Blog Entries

The weekend Gavin was over in NI mid March we had temperatures of 13-14c.
    Been downhill ever since.
    Colonies are certainly getting lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by nemphlar View Post
    I see them collecting pollen, water, the tops are warm and the trays have some debris, but with temperatures around 7'c not sure how you guys have been able to get in to look.
    It has been 12-14 on occasion here in sunny Scotland. Next day it is back to 6 or 7

The only colonies I've looked at are in my shed. These are going well, with good levels of brood and even some nectar being collected. I carved out a pizza-slice piece of brood on Thursday last from one frame and, on checking today, they've completely repaired the comb and laid it up (as drone cells ... ). Going by the evidence on the Varroa trays these colonies are 2-3 weeks ahead of those in the open. The only thing I've done with the latter is check they have enough stores.

The OSR has well-developing buds now and the majority of my colonies are going to completely miss it. Grrrr

I was lucky to fly over the sunny north west the other day, very nice. Into Glasgow to 8'c and a cold wet wind

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    I carved out a pizza-slice piece of brood on Thursday last from one frame and, on checking today, they've completely repaired the comb and laid it up (as drone cells ... ).
    Pizza yumm!
    Unusual topping

That's the base ... Thick and Chewy, with added protein.

Checked on a sunny day. The Queen is still there less bees. No brood and the frame of sealed brood I transferred has failed to hatch, too cold. I have closed down to three frames and fed thin syrup. It is still cold here at night and has been wet so still think this colony is doomed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RDMW View Post
    Checked on a sunny day. The Queen is still there less bees. No brood and the frame of sealed brood I transferred has failed to hatch, too cold. I have closed down to three frames and fed thin syrup. It is still cold here at night and has been wet so still think this colony is doomed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There's no good news for you on the weather front either im afraid, looks like we won't see double figure temps again regularly til late may. Brighter in the West but temps are going to be the problem for everyone.
    There was me thinking I'd need the fondant for mating nucs next, didn't need this just as colony numbers are really taking off.

If you want an accurate forecast for weather in the Highlands and North east use this guy's site

http://highlandweather.info/ - shows current weather from more weather stations than you can shake a stick at (including my garden!)

https://www.facebook.com/highlandweather/ - this has the actual daily and weekly forecasts and is more accurate than any other I've found and for a reasonable time frame.