Thread: Raising or Breeding queens

Blog Entries

Default Raising or Breeding queens

I was buying bits of gear to raise a few queens, Thats the easy part buying the gear, While discussing it with other beekeepers and doing a bit of reading as you would, There is lots of discussion on Rearing queens and Raising queens this I believe to be the same thing but then someone mentioned so your going to breed a few queens, Now hold on there, I dont know much but there is a big differance between Rearing queens and Breeding queens, My bees will either produce swarm cells, supercedure or emergency cells from these I should be able to make up a few nucs or change my queens, But breeding queens that would take time an effort and access to bees with different genetic traits, Imagine if I were to bring in Russian queens or some from America where they have fewer Subspecies of Am. I could get varora resistance bees, better foragers, Small clusters over wintering, If i could breed something like a bumblebee where I would only have to keep the queen alive and then have the laying capability of a honey bee in early spring with a bit of sugar added. mmmmm. Thinking too much better figure out how to assemble the Apidea and frames first.

Quote Originally Posted by Greengage View Post
    But breeding queens that would take time an effort and access to bees with different genetic traits
    Personally I'm not so sure that's the case. Isn't intensive selection by culling the worst and rearing from the best you have a form of breeding. I think it is. Beyond that everything else is ego and money.