Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there a native honey bee

See there is a native honey bee
    get your wallets out we need to save them

Blog Entries

Ah yes the Bare footed natural beekeeper never expected to see him on here, I send a few bob. tks.

Blog Entries

Phil is late to the party but I guess it's better late than never!

This vid was used on a crowdfunder

The_British_Black_Bee_Project__an_Environment_in_Totnes__Devon__United_Kingdom_on_Crowdfunder.png

(or not) project last Spring ...

Blog Entries

Phil C visited Lochaber on 16th May for a natural beekeepers meeting and had a chance for a chat with our Kate too. Hear the voice of our very own Posh Bird (!) here:

http://tinyurl.com/zmk3ctr

Nice to see Paynes polystyrene hives have made the environmentally approved list
    Wonder why they are not in the compost hive?

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    Phil C visited Lochaber on 16th May for a natural beekeepers meeting and had a chance for a chat with our Kate too. Hear the voice of our very own Posh Bird (!) here:
    Fair play, he does a good podcast. Building quite a nice library over there. As for Kate, I've said it before, it's nice to hear a beekeeper with a clear voice, one that doesn't whisper and mutter.

Quote Originally Posted by prakel View Post
    Fair play, he does a good podcast. Building quite a nice library over there. As for Kate, I've said it before, it's nice to hear a beekeeper with a clear voice, one that doesn't whisper and mutter.
    Yes
    here's another very clear speaker
    Not sure his assistant falls into the same category though

Not being funny but... this is from Wikipedia.

Due to health problems he was sent by his devoutly Catholic mother at age 11 from Germany to Buckfast Abbey, where he joined the order (becoming Brother Adam) and in 1915 started his beekeeping activity. Two years before, a parasite, Acarapis woodi that originated on the Isle of Wight had started to extend over the country, devastating all the native bees, and in 1916 it reached the abbey, killing 30 of the 46 bee colonies. Only the Apis mellifera carnica and Apis mellifera ligustica colonies survived.[citation needed]

He travelled to Turkey to find substitutes for the native bees. In 1917 he created the first Buckfast strain, a very productive bee resistant to the parasite. On 1 September 1919 Adam was put in charge of the abbey's apiary, after the retirement of Brother Columban. In 1925 and after some studies on the disposition of the beehives he installed his famous breeding station in Dartmoor, an isolated model to obtain selected crossings, which still works today. From 1950 and for more than a decade Adam continued his gradual improvement of the Buckfast bee by analysing and crossing bees from places all over Europe, the Near East and North Africa.[citation needed]

So aged 13 he goes to Turkey to start the Buckfast... umm I find that very hard to believe.

I do wonder if he had worked with AMM where we might be now.

You note the woodi in the name. He was a retired East India Company man and gave Craibstone £6000 to fund the search into the problem. Alaistair Lilburn from Aboyne had met him in person and said he was a very keen beeman.

So some anecdotal info which really should be preserved.

PH

Quote Originally Posted by Poly Hive View Post
    So aged 13 he goes to Turkey to start the Buckfast... umm I find that very hard to believe.
    Sometimes we simply have to accept that some of the people adding entries to Wikipedia appear to have very poor research skills coupled with limited ability to present their findings in a coherent manner. But in this specific case it's simply a combination of incomplete content which has been badly written with the farcical timeline being all over the place..

For real beekeeping nonsense; read the R.O.B Manley entry.*

* I see that that entry has been cleaned up to the point where it's not quite so bad as it was....
    Last edited by prakel; 10-03-2017 at 10:32 AM.