Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there a native honey bee

Blog Entries

At least Brother Adam did not claim that Amm was wiped out by Bayer's neonics or Monsanto's Roundup as multiple spammy posts re bee 'decline' tend to suggest on Facebook.
    Last edited by Jon; 05-04-2016 at 08:41 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    Sorry Greengage. I did add the title, having decided to shift the post from the Restocking Options thread. I've just modified the title to make it broader, which I think reflects the content of your post.

My take on this is that no strain is going to be completely pure but there are plenty around in Ireland and some in Scotland that are close to it.

German carnica has some Amm in it. NZ carnica has the cytoplasm of the Italians it was crossed into (as imported sperm) and has other ligustica genes in the already impure carnica that came from Germany.

Some 'Amm' in Ireland or Scotland will be, to some extent, derived from hybrids with the other types of bee around ... and if the hybrids crossed back to Amm they will be quite close to Amm but will still carry some DNA from other types.

I'm just accepting that the Amm some of us keep in Scotland is close to the original but can never be completely pure now. The Colonsay stock was isolated before the recent burst of importing and mixing up the genepool but these stocks would also have been exposed to imports too.
    I think you have said it better than I was trying to explain, I hope you were not being mischievous trying to get me in trouble . RE Jon and the samples sent to Switzerland I heard they were not falling over themselves with the report they sent back, One line short reports. I listen to a lot of talk about the project and people have different opinions some excited about it and others not so enthusiastic, as for me I wish it well.

Blog Entries

That was the original report GG but the issue got sorted later on.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Greengage View Post
    I think you have said it better than I was trying to explain, I hope you were not being mischievous trying to get me in trouble .
    Not at all . I feared that the thread was going to go quite far off topic and I came up with a title for a new thread with too little thought, far too early in the morning.

These issues of purity and identity aren't easy. Matters of judgement. In nature, populations do exchange genes from time to time anyway. They retain their identity either through strong selection pushing things back to where they were before, or they just get diluted out into the bigger picture. Amm (Irish or Scottish) with a bit of a contribution from elsewhere via man's actions is probably just a broader beast than what it would be naturally.

G

Blog Entries

As Bill O’Herlihy the famous sports commentator always said at the end of his programmes "We'll leave it there so"

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Breeding-Bet.../dp/1904623182
    cheap copy of the definitive guide to AMM
    Some undeniable facts in there (for example -- there was an Ice Age)
    It seems I bought one in 2011 I wish I hadn't left it out in the rain
    got a couple of Brother Adams as well
    Last edited by The Drone Ranger; 07-04-2016 at 12:30 AM.

Blog Entries

Great book can you buy it by the page or on HP, Is there a PDF version available, I also take it your not a fan of AMM.

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    ...I wish I hadn't left it out in the rain ...
    I have one! You should soon see a third buying option for £998.
    Kitta

Quote Originally Posted by Mellifera Crofter View Post
    I have one! You should soon see a third buying option for £998.
    Kitta
    Do you think its money laundering or something ?

GG
    I used to hear Breeding Better Bees cited on a daily basis
    reading it I didn't find their arguments and conclusions compelling
    Getting some things right for the wrong reasons is usually just called guessing

Did you ever see the Morcambe and Wise sketch where Andre' Previn tells Eric hes playing all the wrong notes
    Eric says "I'm playing all the right notes", "just not necessarily in the right order"

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    he will have been listening to Chinese whispers in a time when it wasn't possible to quiz people on the internet to see if it was really true.

God I hope that last bit was ironic.