Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Is there a native honey bee

Jo Widdecombe responded to the BBKA forum and said that the bees shown were not blacks....

"The Countryfile report was a bit misleading. The footage with the close-up of bees interspersed throughout the reports on black bees were not my bees. To me they looked more like a Buckfast cross.

Cornish native bees do not have any ginger stripes. Some colonies could be seen in some of the footage but unfortunately no close-ups. So if anyone thinks the bees shown close up weren't native, they were correct, and it is not me being ignorant of what a native bee is".

BIBBA have a black bee reserve in Essex too - it was shown on our local news a couple of weeks ago with three colonies put there recently.

As far as the question "is Scotland no longer a part of the UK".... Well for now it is, lets hope it stays so (as long as you behave yourselves! However I am sure that many Americans and other will think that Scotland is a small island off the N of England - say Shetland or something!

Jo Widdecombe has responded to the Countryfile report on the BIBBA website here: https://bibba.com/countryfile/

BIBBA have a black bee reserve in Essex too - it was shown on our local news a couple of weeks ago with three colonies put there recently.
    Aren't 'reserves' meant to have some kind of protection such as that afforded to Colonsay? Anything less, where bees are concerned is an apiary or, perhaps, a collection of apiaries.

Blog Entries

I read Jo Widdecombes reply aren't you better off without any publicity than something misleading. Bit of a Donald moment there.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    As far as the question "is Scotland no longer a part of the UK".... Well for now it is, lets hope it stays so (as long as you behave yourselves! However I am sure that many Americans and other will think that Scotland is a small island off the N of England - say Shetland or something!
    Americans ? I think most of the UK media / press / MPs for North East Somerset think that !

I had a very nice response from the producer after I mentioned Andrews reserve to them. He was very apologetic and said it was just an oversight which is understandable.

It was a great wee piece other than the close ups but surely most beekeepers must be understanding of that or recognise the way these pieces are put together ?

Blog Entries

[QUOTE= most beekeepers must be understanding[/QUOTE] OK I edited your piece to make the quote suit. you would want to be following the beekeepers over here in Ireland at the moment. its becoming expensive looks like either NIHBS or FIBKA will loose my membership.

Blog Entries

NIHBS is a lot cheaper than FIBKA!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Greengage View Post
    expensive looks like either NIHBS or FIBKA will loose my membership.
    I suppose it depends what you are after eg insurance. If you are a farmer your farming insurance might cover beekeeping activities, alternatively join a club in the north and you are able to avail of UBKA insurance. As for reading materials, try Am.B.J. , probably a bit more expensive but you get a really good read with original up to date material or UK mainland journals eg Scottish etc journals

FIBKA , in my opinion wont increase their price, or else they will loose so many members that it will die a death esp when there are so many other subscriber options available with similar benefits,

Blog Entries

In reply two the last to posts the fee will be increased by €18 I am told. As for FIBKA and NIHBS I have attended more NIHBS workshops than FIBKA ones and because NIHBS it is a smaller group more people know each other and it seems like a friendly bunch of people interested in talking about bees rather than politics. Unfortunately NIHBS do not provide insurance but even if they did I still don't know what I am entitled to from it people say it covers you for this and that but until there is an actual court case and lawyers fight it out nobody knows what it covers. I never had to access it but I cannot even access an extractor from my local association as that is not covered by insurance. So what do I get as an associated member, 12 editions of An Beachaire, A conference in gormanstown for one week which I pay for to attend, Examinations, and this famous insurance.
    What do I get from NIHBS 4 editions of the Four seasons, 1day long conference which I pay to attend, Invites to numerous apiaries, workshops on Queen rearing, Workshops on pest and disease control, membership of bee improvement group, Regular study group run by NIHBS members for FIBKA exams. Lots of chat and banter about bees and access to numerous people who will answer my questions no matter how controversial or silly that are. Interesting times ahead.
    Last edited by Greengage; 27-09-2017 at 07:53 AM. Reason: grammer??

Blog Entries

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/envir...-all-1.3243037
    Native honey bee confirmed.
    Now there is an opportunity to have Ireland declared import free, This window will not remain open for ever.
    We are an Island behind an Island on the edge of a continent. We need someone who has a scientific background to talk to the decision makers they must have good charisma and political skills to negotiate with the powers that be. Somehow I don't think we have that person on the island although some do great work. We are governed on the island by two different jurisdictions so that will be two governments that need to be convinced don't think that will succeed but it is as it is. Being members of the EU there will be the issue of free movements of goods to negotiate. Good news for people who keep Amm. I snse more trouble ahead amongst beekeepers for those who import bees and Buckfast groups. Anyway I think its good news well to the researcher and my bees who contributed came back as 98% pure with a bit of Italian in there. Don't know how they will fare when they are out mating next year. Unless we could flood the area with Drones. But not everyone agrees. Interesting times.