Thread: Wielkopolski hive

Smile Wielkopolski hive

Hi everyone,

As being new to beekeeping I like to try different things and experiment..... So I decided to buy a Wielkopolski hive from Abelo here in the UK. I had been looking for a hive like this as seen some similar on youtube but could not find out what they were.. Anyway it arrived today from Abelo's 2 boxes and I must say they were very well packed as you can see in the video, the only thing that was not available to buy was the feeder but that is coming next week

Here is a video of the hive and the frames and foundation I hope you enjoy ? I will be installing a package of bees in this later when they arrive and do a review of how I get on with this hive through spring,summer and winter...

The video

comments welcome!

Another nice video.

Frames: obvious question, what size are they? Any chance of measuring the top bar and depth? Short lugs too...

Quote Originally Posted by prakel View Post
    Another nice video.

Frames: obvious question, what size are they? Any chance of measuring the top bar and depth? Short lugs too...
    Hi Parkel, thank you for your kind comment.... I have just had time to check them and the measurements are as follows:

Brood frame: 392mm X 265mm

Super frame: 392mm X 130mm

I hope that this helps ??

Thanks, it does help, in the sense that it confirms the frames don't match anything I can think of off the top of my head. Just to be clear (I'm now starting to worry that I might be getting confused) these are the hives which have been advertised as 'nationals' aren't they?
    Last edited by prakel; 02-04-2016 at 04:29 PM.

Thanks, it does help, in the sense that it confirms the frames don't match anything I can think of off the top of my head. Just to be clear (I'm now starting to worry that I might be getting confused) these are the hives which have been advertised as 'nationals' aren't they?
    Hi Prakel, NO these are NOT the Nationals that he has advertised...... These are different hives I like them because they lock together and these are the ones that Damian uses himself.

I hope that that clarifies that for you and everyone else reading this thread. The National hives that he is selling are the same as other National hives for sale (polly) that is but his have a FLAT plastic plate on top and bottom to protect the polly when you open the hive!!!!

That does clarify I did look on their website after watching the video to see if they were listed but could only see their nationals and langstroths, so I assume that these are a special order?

That does clarify I did look on their website after watching the video to see if they were listed but could only see their nationals and langstroths, so I assume that these are a special order?
    Hi Parkel, yes kinda but as far as I know he did say that he was planning adding these hives to the site next week I think ? and the frames they will come flat packed or made up and wired but you will have to add the foundation yourself....