Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Feeding pollen at this time of year..pros / cons

Blog Entries

Tried this too ages ago, went to heath shop for the ingredients, made it up, put it on the frames, seen little difference. Not saying it is not of benefit to bees in early spring but if flora and pollen available in the hive then its just a waste IMO.

Where it is useful is in queen rearing where larvae need a good supply food - every little helps

It's been hard to check the bees since July as there are so few clear spells between the showers and I have out apiaries. Flying hours have been severely restricted for the bees so they have been bringing is far less than usual and I have very little pollen in the freezer ... not enough to make much difference for 12 or so colonies. Besides, they'll need stored pollen for the Spring build up too. Here's hoping for that Indian Summer everyone around here is fantasising about!

Meanwhile I may try some Bee Pro, to be on the safe side.

I rolled out sausages of pollen sub to put on hives a few years ago and a good friend quickly put me right on it saying "why are you giving them dog muck when there's god given ivy pollen about?", I haven't wasted my time or money on pollen sub since.
    I think in my area there seems to be ample pollen most times they need it and a feed of carbohydrates (suryp) is much more beneficial for them.

Just received an email from Vita - suggesting Vitafeed Nutri. No idea if it's better or worse than any other - but worth considering. Or check out Randy Olivers When to feed pollen subs and comparisons too:-
    http://scientificbeekeeping.com/bee-nutrition/

Thanks Adam. I looked at the newish Vita feed but it's more expensive than I'm prepared to pay ... nearly £30 for 500g from Thornes apparently.
    Yes, Randy Oliver has studied this and his conclusions tally with my own observations. He says: "There was no apparent benefit to feeding pollen sub when there was adequate pollen of high nutritive value naturally available. So don’t waste your money."

Here on the margins of land where honey bees can thrive pollen is in fairly short supply from June onwards, aside from the heather. The exceptionally wet weather has added to the dearth in the hives. Sadly we have virtually no ivy.