Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To Clip or not to Clip that is the Question.

Blog Entries

Default To Clip or not to Clip that is the Question.

I have two queens unclipped at the moment (All going well so far) Come spring should I clip or leave unclipped just wondering what any of you would do, Tks.

Blog Entries

I clip all of mine, usually in Spring.
    Does them no harm as I have one going into her 5th season minus half a wing and there is a similar one at the association apiary.
    neither has tried to swarm and I would expect them to get superseded at some point this year.

Clip all mine ... all part of trying to be a 'good neighbour' ...
    I know there's at least one late-season supercedure to be clipped at the first inspection of the year.

I dont clip my queens I do try and make sure they dont fly away just the same

Blog Entries

Tks for the info, Last year I had clippped queens and they both swarmed, luckily I was able to retrieve them as I happpened to be on site, Just because they are clipped does not mean they will not swarm, yes the bees will probably return to the hive, but will they swarm with the first newly hatched queen anyway.I have read where workers will see her as damaged also if she is clipped will she not be a little unbalanced when walking arounnd or able to right herself if she fell over.
    Another to add to my list of bee myths "Clipped queens do not swarm"

Quote Originally Posted by Greengage View Post
    Another to add to my list of bee myths "Clipped queens do not swarm"
    True, it is a myth in the strict sense. But, I think that being clipped may well discourage (at least some) queens from leaving the hive. Anyway, I've seen clipped queens apparently making no effort to leave hives with sealed cells during particularly nice weather. Nothing wrong with them either and afterwards, they've gone on to live useful lives once.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by prakel View Post
    I think that being clipped may well discourage (at least some) queens from leaving the hive. Anyway, I've seen clipped queens apparently making no effort to leave hives with sealed cells during particularly nice weather.
    Actually, this is observation about not swarming with cells in good weather is quite interesting. The same has happened to me too last season when I was not able to examine some hives due to pressure on my time. Several of my hives contained sealed cells and when i see this i usually assume the swarm has gone off but the presence of fresh eggs gives away the presence of the queen in residence. I do clip but my out apiary hives are 2 feet off the ground and it would be very unlikely that a Q could crawl back in after a swarm issues

At the time I put it down to the very erratic and sparse honey flow and weather conditions last season making bees perhaps delay swarming.

Blog Entries

I should have said with my swarm with a clipped queen, I put them back in a nuc, was the queen with them when I rehoused them I dont know, But 2 hours later they were gone again across the horizon, probably with a new queen I suspect, so where did the old queen go?? bird food, died somewhere, got walked on or left behind crawling in grass maybe she moulted and grew new wings mystery to me. Im tempted to not clip but I could regret it if my observation skills are not up to scratch. Also the weather was very good when they decided to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by busybeephilip View Post
    my out apiary hives are 2 feet off the ground and it would be very unlikely that a Q could crawl back in after a swarm issues

At the time I put it down to the very erratic and sparse honey flow and weather conditions last season making bees perhaps delay swarming.
    Yes, seen it in our flood prone apiaries where the hives are on high stands so I too am inclined to believe that they never flew (but I suppose I'd need DR and the tech boys to build some fancy monitors to prove it one way or the other).

Also, observed it over a period of a few years. The one factor which does seem to be consistant is the amount of wing which has been clipped.

I don't mind tree climbing in Summer