Our strongest colony on brood and half has suddenly died. Treated with Api Boixal end of Jan and seen flying since then. Not out today when the others were so checked and all dead.
The base was absolutely covered with bees (poly hive, mesh floor), the brood box had about 6-7 heavy frames of stores, all uncapped.
The super was empty of stores with a very small cluster of bees in one corner which looked as thought they had starved, heads down. I suspect they had become isolated.
on top of the super was a block of fondant about 1/3 eaten, on top of that the eke with polystyrene to fill the space. there were dead bees above the polystyrene block which had died, and sign of dystentery, presumably as they could find their way back/stress.
No sign of deformed wings. This was my strongest colony, queen only about 18months old. I didn't find the queen and there was no brood.
I'm sending a bag of bees to SASA Fiona Highet - is this the right thing to do.
Some photos - small brood starvation and isolation, super frames no stores left and a lay effect like they had tried to eat the wax (though it might be the thin wax I had in for the heather) five brood frames full of stores, close up of brood frames with stores, base of dead bees.
IMG_2617.jpgIMG_2618.jpgIMG_2622.jpgIMG_2623.jpgIMG_2624.jpg

Now I think we will make a bonfire of all the frames so not to risk any further contamination and give the hive a good clean.
I am a bit flummoxed - I understand why the bees in the super died. I think as the hive retracted in size they mainly moved down leaving a few behind who couldn't keep warm and find the fondant. But as to all the bees on the base ...?