Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: What next ....

Quote Originally Posted by alancooper View Post
    I have European alder (Alnus incana) in a hedge which flowers in Feb but no signs of the native alder (Alnus glutinosa) which flowers later. I know that "west is best" currently, but do you know if it is glutinosa or incana you have?
    Alan, I checked online to identify the sub-species and I'm pretty sure it's alnus glutinosa. The catkins, in particular, seem indicative. They don't have the extra spots of incana. The tree is interwoven with a rambling holly tree which still has berries!

IMG_1059.jpg IMG_1070.jpg
    Last edited by Kate Atchley; 27-03-2016 at 10:34 PM.

On the edge of a mature pine forest, Kingussie, Inverness-shire

Is this Hazel Kate
    If so no catkins on it.
    Spent this morning planting a ribes hedge in front of the bee house. I'm going to plant some Hazel through it too. Our bee house has no trees or hedges near it. I know it seems that the bees are well enough sheltered but I've noticed that bee houses on the continent are often set back into trees or bushes. It's also to get the bees up in the air and hopefully over my allergic head. We have piggies arriving soon and they will be situated quite near to the bees. I will still have to wear protection of course, gardening in a bee suit makes for a very grubby suit ....... But hopefully there won't be bees whizzing past my ears making me run for cover.
    Still waiting for the appointment in Dundee. I realise my doctor doesn't reckon it's life threatening .....sigh..... but it's taken him till last week to write to Dundee. Only 7 months since I first raised it with the surgery and 6 weeks since I found a doctor there who I was able to persuade to do something about it. Sigh again ......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Italy trip Jan14 085.jpg

This is hazel. The male long lamb tail cathkins are the dead giveaway. The female cathkins are tiny red things, quite hard to spot unless you are looking closely.

Your tree looks a bit too robust for a hazel.

Hazel also tends to throw up straight shoots with nice shiny smooth bark much beloved of stick makers rather than the gnarled look they have on that tree Bridget

On the edge of a mature pine forest, Kingussie, Inverness-shire

Oh well I'll have to have another walk out tomorrow to see if I can find one

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk