Thread: Varroa Monitering IPM

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Default Varroa Monitering IPM

One of the advantages of keeping bees as a hobby there is always time to experiment after all Iam not relying on the honey produced to survive, One of my problems last year was Varroa mites, but i monitored the situation by carrying out Treatments with Apistan and Apibioxal. I also tried IPM , using the sugar roll method to monitor infestation and drone uncapping. I came accros this method where a tower hive configuration is used it is simply two hives placed side by side. When the hives are ready to be supered, the super is placed over the top of the center of the adjoining hives. In order to keep the queens separate, a flat queen excluder is placed under the super, on top of each brood area ensuring the queens will never meet, but that the workers will get acquainted with one another. Has anyone tried it or does it work.
    https://beeinformed.org/2012/06/12/tower-hives/
    As a matter of interest this site has some excellent pictures of pests and diseases which I think are worth looking at.
    Last edited by Greengage; 16-02-2016 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Spell check hope i got them all??