Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Help - I don't want to give up beekeeping yet.

Yes - thin medical-type blue vinyl gloves. Good for feeling the bees and they hardly ever sting.

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    Dave it took me a couple of goes to find H.A.P.E it said high altitude pulmonary edema ?

My neighbour didn't get up Machu Picchu on holiday ,I think he is a bit lazy (sorry Frank)
    http://www.incatrail-machupicchu.com...-sickness.html

If only he followed the advice "chewing coca leaves"
    He could have run up the trail and lost a few pounds at the same time

Sorry to hear about the heart problems Dave hope its all under control now
    John
    H.A.P.E is likely to be very common because the NHS do not make any effort to diagnose it. The condition can be triggered inside a pressurised or un-pressurised aircraft of just by a low air pressure system at sea level. There is no need to go up a mountain to become a victim of H.A.P.E or H.A.C.E.

Most people believe that the global obesity epidemic is caused by the consumption of foods and drinks or a lack of exercise but it is actually a medical manifestation of un-treated decompression illness and it affects people in Scotland greatly. The NHS have no idea how to make a correct diagnosis in favour of seriously overweight people.

I'm learning quite a lot now
    I knew I was getting a bit porky
    The doc told me I was getting older and I had to expect these things

Luckily Global warming is raising the sea level
    Cant weight (sic) for it to happen
    I'm going to be sylph like when my house is at sea level instead of 600m above it

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    Hi madasafish
    I use the thin medical gloves rather than marigolds which are a bit thick
    Bees can sting through them but they hardly ever do, and they don't seem to be able to deliver more than a slight jab
    In the height of Summer two pairs one under another over saves getting sweaty palms in to a new pair
    All propolis and gunk stays on glove and gets taken off before next hive (good for lots of reasons)

Up the nose really hurts and its even worse if you scrape the sting off with a hive tool (as recommended on BBKA)
    I have a supply of vinyl gloves ## from Eurocarparts... and they appear tougher than the medical ones... which I agree are better from a feel point of view than marigolds.

I reserve marigolds for the really nasty colonies which attack my hands.. and try to climb under my cuffs etc..

## cheap and ideal for painting... or using PU glue..:-)

Quote Originally Posted by madasafish View Post
    I have a supply of vinyl gloves ## from Eurocarparts... and they appear tougher than the medical ones... which I agree are better from a feel point of view than marigolds.

I reserve marigolds for the really nasty colonies which attack my hands.. and try to climb under my cuffs etc..

## cheap and ideal for painting... or using PU glue..:-)
    Time to get some better tempered and gentler bees methinks

Quote Originally Posted by GRIZZLY View Post
    Time to get some better tempered and gentler bees methinks
    My bees are fine: very laid back. It's our Association bees: approx 75% of my total stings come from them..

Speaking of gloves my perennial problem with nitriles was them tearing at the drop of a hat. So much so I've probably persisted with my silly expensive Thornes kid gloves for longer than I should have. This season it's all change. Someone on the BBKA FB page put me on to these

https://www.hygienedepot.co.uk/produ...-milking-glove

I asked for some samples before ordering and the samples arrived next day. Settled on the Large size. I have high hopes. They have long cuffs and seem very sturdy

Quote Originally Posted by drumgerry View Post
    Speaking of gloves my perennial problem with nitriles was them tearing at the drop of a hat. So much so I've probably persisted with my silly expensive Thornes kid gloves for longer than I should have. This season it's all change. Someone on the BBKA FB page put me on to these

https://www.hygienedepot.co.uk/produ...-milking-glove

I asked for some samples before ordering and the samples arrived next day. Settled on the Large size. I have high hopes. They have long cuffs and seem very sturdy

Very expensive..

Well it worked out at 49p a pair as I bought 3 boxes. Cheaper if you buy 10. I think that's ok to be honest. I won't be changing them between hives just between apiaries. And it's comparable to the kid gloves I have been wearing - the only leather gloves that give any sort of feel when you work a hive in my opinion.

I don't think it's over the odds and I'd suggest anyone interested get a few samples.

justgloves.co.uk Best place I ever found for sourcing disposable/semi disposable and working gloves.

The thin nitrile gloves are somewhere in the region of 3.50 per 100 pairs.

We normally use the long green thicker ones at just under a pound a pair, but even in our setup a pair is good for a week or so. I personally use a dearer one from the same catalogue, green and yellow coloured.

The long gloves go well up under the elasticated wrists of your beesuit/jacket, and nothing more needed.