Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help - I don't want to give up beekeeping yet.

On the edge of a mature pine forest, Kingussie, Inverness-shire

Default Help - I don't want to give up beekeeping yet.

I've been trying to get referred for immunotherapy since July when I was carted off to hospital. Highland region don't do it and Grampian (Aberdeen) won't do it for me under the NHS. Doctor today at last admitted that he hadn't a clue about bee venom desensitisation or where to go next, which is why i've heard a lot of excuses and not much else. I've been reading back through the Smimmo thread of 18 months ago where Gavin said he knew someone undergoing it at Ninewells and HJB said he was about to start at Gartnavel. Can either of you confirm this is still possible at these places. Does anyone know of any where else it can be done in Scotland and has anyone had it done privately? I would like to know who would do this and approx cost even if it was a few years ago it would give me an idea. You could pm me if you wanted. Doctor obviously said to give up but I'm not prepared to stop beekeeping so quickly especially as I've made some nice friends through it.
    I said I would get back to him, the doctor, with any information I was able to find out here.
    Many thanks

Blog Entries

Hi Bridget

I went through it myself several years ago and our local secretary, Colin, is still finishing off the less frequent part of the 3-year programme. It was weekly for 12 weeks then less frequent for the rest of three years.

My GP knew of the Asthma and Allergy Research Group (now the Scottish Centre for Respiratory Research) and it was that group he first made contact with. Your GP might be better to go directly to the Ear Nose and Throat surgeon who actually does the desensitisation. I think he's separate from the SCRR. He's still doing it so you really ought to be able to get it done there. NHS and free. Ask your GP to write to him - I'll PM his details.

If you do get booked in there let me know and we can blether about bees some time. I live nearby.

cheers

Gavin

Hello Mr Quentin Gardiner, consultant ENT surgeon at ninewells in Dundee will accept a referral from your GP. Ask for an IgE blood test for total IgE and specific IgE to bee venom before the referral.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is a lengthy process involving weekly visits to Ninewells for many weeks but I understand that it is an effective treatment

Call Clem....you Inverness based bee inspector.

He had to get it done after a bad reaction while inspecting some bees with me at the height of the EFB outbreak down here. He will KNOW how to get it done from Highland.

The weekly trips are only for the first few visits btw.....you fairly quickly move on to 6 weekly.

Just to let you know guys Bridget is the Treasurer of our wee Spey Beekeepers Association. Suffice to say the association wouldn't exist without her so thanks for helping her get back into the beekeeping swing. Her other half Fraser is doing a sterling job with their own bees at the moment but I'm sure she's dying to get back to it herself.

On the edge of a mature pine forest, Kingussie, Inverness-shire

Quote Originally Posted by RDMW View Post
    Hello Mr Quentin Gardiner, consultant ENT surgeon at ninewells in Dundee will accept a referral from your GP. Ask for an IgE blood test for total IgE and specific IgE to bee venom before the referral.

Thanks for that info - I have had the blood tests etc which I was able to get done on my work insurance but they won't cover the actual treatment. I will let my doctor know tomorrow
    Bridget

Your GP should be able to refer you through the NHS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Calluna4u View Post
    Call Clem....you Inverness based bee inspector.
    I understand that Clem is off the bees and on another role. If I remember correctly he had to come down to Dundee for his treatment. I'm certain that there were no options in N Scotland a year or two ago. A GP I knew (spouse of a one-time poster) was trying to get desensitisation in Inverness and if he couldn't persuade them, nobody can.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    HJB said he was about to start at Gartnavel. ....
    HJ is Helena. She's not on here much these days so I'll send you her email in case you need it.