Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Sealing Correx flutes

Or an estate car

I have developed the habit of re-homing roadside abandoned sand bags in an attempt to keep things in place this winter
    I need to look into branching out into correx reclaimation now too

Having spotted one dead dear on the road ( turned to mince) which appeared to have been wearing at hat? I'm not convinced collecting correx on the motorway is for me
    I was tempted to nab the hat though it looked like one of those pith helmets people wear under a veil
    Sand bags is definitely a bridge too far
    Last edited by The Drone Ranger; 27-02-2016 at 06:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by busybeephilip View Post
    Calluna4u, any chance of seeing photo's of your handy work
    March16 089.jpg

Finally got one of my guys onto the assembling of the flight boards, here is a completed one. Note as stated the openings on two adjacent sides. The need for this being as previously mentioned, to allow for operation of the hives as free standing or on pallets of four. Its as fancy as any of our gear gets. Glued all round apart from the doors. Nailing from the underside with annular nails, and the swivelling doors by wood screws.

March16 088.jpg

The stack of finished and partially finished thus far. He did about 160 in one day, so will be four man days to do the full 500 including set up and finish off. Glue cost hopelessly underestimated..........truth working out at about 30p.....but labour cost lower by a little more than that, so actually managing them a sliver cheaper than budget. Glue cost higher because we opted to get the wood 'finished' on three sides only, leaving one wide side 'hairy' to ensure better adhesion. This uses a lot more glue than a smooth face would need but the adhesion is way better.

Blog Entries

Calluna4u - yes looks like you planning to do a lot of splits, i use something similar only in ply and edged top and bottom but yours look like a lot lighter and easier to transport, time to start bodgering.

Quote Originally Posted by busybeephilip View Post
    Calluna4u - yes looks like you planning to do a lot of splits, i use something similar only in ply and edged top and bottom but yours look like a lot lighter and easier to transport, time to start bodgering.
    All our older ones are plywood. Bees so good this spring thus far that we realised there were not enough flight boards to do the job and needed extra for the poly Langstroths. Have plenty for both types of wooden hives.

That's why the sides are so wide. Its the same as the wall thickness of the boxes, necessary so queens cannot be hiding in the little channel that would be there if the wood were skinnier and the outer dimensions stayed the same. We don't need to edge them on both sides as would be needed with a National as the Langstroth is top bee space. Bottom bee space and yes...best with the raised edges on both sides.
    Last edited by Calluna4u; 15-03-2016 at 01:14 PM.