Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Sealing Correx flutes

Quote Originally Posted by GRIZZLY View Post
    I told you EVOSTICK was the glue to use.
    Yep and I told them you had told them Grizzly

I thought Snelgrove board but with a touch of correx for the flight boards
    Then I realised it might have been Colonel Mustard in the kitchen with a hammer

Surprised at the interest.......................

These are ONLY a solid correx board....thick 6mm strong stuff.....with a raised edge all round for the bee space. Two swivel doors (one each) on adjacent sides of the board. They double as crown boards when used in the correct size for wooden hives....but the 450mm x 540mm ones in this case are for poly langstroths where we do not use crown boards. (the width of the wood matches the thickness of the sidewalls. It has to. Too wide and you risk fouling on bottom bars of the frames, too small and it gives a hidden running channel where queens might go, slowing down examinations where that might be a factor).

Bees in the poly are looking so good this winter that we realised we were hopelessly short of these boards for the season ahead's swarm control/splitting/requeening work, as there will be very few vacancies (maybe 4%?).

I appreciate that at 2.75 they might seem expensive, but we buy new materials all precut at the dealer to the sizes we need, and HAVE to cost in the labour.

The reason for the two holes on adjacent sides is a very simple and relevant to operating hives both free standing and on pallets, with no complex beekeeping reasons. When doing a split it is best (though not utterly essential so long as the hole is high enough up from the main entrance), to fly the split from the rear of the hive. Hence the door on a short side. On pallets the back of the hive is in the gap between two hives and is not ideal. Hence in that situation we fly them from the side of the hive, thus the door on the long side.

In all other hive types they double as crown boards.

All our crown boards are solid...no holes or ventilation except in historic ones acquired over the years from other places, and those have been sealed up long since, so these boards double as crown boards. All crown boards we have made are thus dual purpose.

We keep everything very simple and as gadget free as possible.

I see sourcing questions popping up on various threads. Hope this does not infringe forum rules (Gavin?)

Correx:- The Plastic shop, Coventry (Their product is not trade marked Correx, but is 15% stronger due to more plastic)
    Wood:- Direct Line Timber, Dundee
    Screws and Glue:- Screwfix

Note...its not just ANY old Evo Stik that works well....its a specific version that bonds plastic to wood and I gave the number. It IS however not cheap (28 quid) and not in small containers, but it IS a simple brush on adhesive. Do the gluing and leave overnight (under weights, but it can be the whole stack in one go, so long as you have not been messy with the glue lol) and nails and screws go on the next day.
    Last edited by Calluna4u; 20-02-2016 at 07:50 PM.

Thanks for that C4u
    I dont have any correx yet but if I did I would take your advice on the stronger version
    Especially as free election posters might be in even shorter supply now fatshark has moved to Scotland

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Thanks C4U. I think the words 'flight boards' and 'swivelling holes' had me quite confused. I now understand what you mean. Actually, Fatshark's post already cleared my head of weird images. So far I've been using plywood for my flight boards/crown boards - but I think I'll follow your example and use correx.
    Kitta

Better quality estate agents often use 6mm Correx ... not the sort that sell houses in the areas I frequent, so you've still got a chance

Alternatively, you could consider eBay and sharing an order. The 6mm stuff is listed at about £30/sheet (2.4 x 1.2m), enough for about 10 of the boards c4u describes (which makes the prices he's quoting @ £1.12/board very competitive ... so I'll be braving a trip over the Tay to check things out). Alternatively, 4mm is about a third the price of the 6mm stuff.

With luck there will be a flurry of advertising from both the xenophobes and european federalists before the 23rd of June which will allow us all to reap a bonanza harvest ... think of this as filling-in the June gap

The place I am buying it....the Plastic shop, has the 6mm, at 1200gsm (normal is 1050gsm but still good) available online for 13.20 a sheet (2440mm x 1220mm). There is also a further 15% discount for online purchase right now, and cutting it is free, so long as its not too many pieces and the cuts are straight lines.

Carriage is 12.50 flat rate, but as I am getting 50 sheets cut, for making 500 boards, it vanishes into the price.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Calluna4u View Post
    Hope this does not infringe forum rules (Gavin?)

Correx:- The Plastic shop, Coventry (Their product is not trade marked Correx, but is 15% stronger due to more plastic)
    Wood:- Direct Line Timber, Dundee
    Screws and Glue:- Screwfix
    No, delighted that you are posting this level of detail. We have no hang-ups about posting information on commercial sources of supplies. You can even post www.thorne/paynes/swienty without it converting to asterisks.

I sat opposite C4U at an all-day meeting yesterday. The only time he expressed any irritation was when he was told his subscription to a bee-related organisation was going to go *down* by a few hundred pounds. That's the kind of guy he is .

Hope you caught up on your sleep . I had a long nap this afternoon instead.

Alert for DR ... there's a good-sized 'For Sale' sign lying on the side of the A913 junction at Glenfoot.
    Google_Maps.png
    I didn't have a saw with me so couldn't collect it ... it's attached to a 6' length of 2x2.

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    Alert for DR ... there's a good-sized 'For Sale' sign lying on the side of the A913 junction at Glenfoot.
    Google_Maps.png
    I didn't have a saw with me so couldn't collect it ... it's attached to a 6' length of 2x2.
    I nearly got to it but was diverted by a dead deer which the lorries had turned into a pile of mince
    Mmmmm..... you cant miss out on tasty free mince if you get the chance

Actually come to think of it that deer had a hat on ......

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    Google_Maps.png
    MORAL Always carry a saw in the car.