Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sealing Correx flutes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Sealing Correx flutes

Has anyone tried sealing the 'holes' at the cut end of a Correx sheet? Perhaps with glue from a glue gun? Sheets left out in the rain seem to wick water along the flutes and I'd like to try and avoid this if possible. Correx is a beast to try and get anything to stick to because of the finish they apply during production.

Loads of snowdrops out on my travels this morning ... not a bee to be seen though. Less than 5oC and raining

Thanks

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

No, they house the hive's local earwigs. I've thought about trying decorator's caulk, but that's still on the 'perhaps one day ...' to-do list.
    Kitta

Quote Originally Posted by Mellifera Crofter View Post
    No, they house the hive's local earwigs. I've thought about trying decorator's caulk, but that's still on the 'perhaps one day ...' to-do list.
    Kitta
    can you melt/soften the end with a heat gun and squash it flat ?

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    Has anyone tried sealing the 'holes' at the cut end of a Correx sheet? Perhaps with glue from a glue gun? Sheets left out in the rain seem to wick water along the flutes and I'd like to try and avoid this if possible. Correx is a beast to try and get anything to stick to because of the finish they apply during production.

Loads of snowdrops out on my travels this morning ... not a bee to be seen though. Less than 5oC and raining

Thanks
    The extremely adhesive silver coloured sealing tape (with the fabric content) is the stuff. Lie the TAPE down flat on a smooth surface like a table, sticky side up. Leave an inch or more spare at both ends. Lie your correx edge down on it half way across the tape and press the board down firmly. Trim about half the over lap of tape off the half width only that is the side not under the board the board.

In ONE go lift the part up that is above the board and fold it tightly down onto the top of the correx. This will leave an inch or two of a tail at either end, which has a sticky face, which you then double back over onto the taped section and it sticks really well back onto the tape. This holds pretty well.

Sticks well to correx, and even is a good process for extending zinc queen excluders if need on a larger dimensions hive. Converted a lot of Smith excluders to do Langstroths this way.

The better quality the tape the better.

Thanks Calluna4u ... the other tape that works well is UNIbond waterproof power tape (no idea why this stuff is so poorly reviewed on Amazon ... it works a treat). I use this making Correx roofs and have had them out in the sun and rain - mainly the rain recently - for about 18 months with no degradation. I'd hoped I'd be able to do it by running a bead of bathroom sealant or similar along the edge as there are reasons I'd rather avoid tape for what I have in mind. However, if needs must ...

Exterior grade silicon sealant?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I considered that alclosier but have previously struggled to get some glues to permanently attach to Correx ... so hoped one of the Correx-aficionados on here might have got a working solution. I'm going to use tape if I can (unless I've got a tube of opened sealant lurking ... which I doubt).

Blog Entries

I use 50mm gaffer tape/duct tape for sealing the edges

Blog Entries

I find that duck take often looses its adhesive properties. Maybe the flutes could be sealed using sort sort of large "bag type" heat sealer - Ha.... yet another DIY bee project being born !

Maybe a soldering iron type of device run along the edges - heat crimper ?

Gorrilla tape?
    Last edited by busybeephilip; 10-02-2016 at 12:20 PM.

https://www.gluegunsdirect.com/2013/...ypropylene-pp/
    Might be useful for the correx constructor

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/sg_...ing-System.htm
    Thats developed for polypropylene and polyethylene but basically superglue

Could be a clue in there though because plastic water pipes(white not blue) are polyethylene and plumbers glue those
    I expect that stuff wont be as dear to try
    If it was me I would go for the hot glue sticks, because I have got the gun, I use it all the time, and have the burns to prove it