Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Locations

[QUOTE=Fawcettpark;34258]Hi, I would be grateful for any advice on keeping bees in Scotland, particularly how far north is practical (Depending on site I guess and sources of food), and also advice on midges - are these a problem for beekeepers and gardeners . We are looking to move around the Callander area and to have bees ( I have done the basic courses) and also spend as much time out doors tending the garden - hence the midge question.
    Many thanks for your help.[/QUOTE

When I consider where I would keep honey bees then I look at the environmental conditions they would endure. Callander is an area where people reside at altitudes between 70-200-M above sea level. Furthermore, the area is often subjected to abnormally low atmosphere air pressures (depressions). However, Scotland per se is subjected often to abnormally low air pressures and most of the land is way above sea level where wild bees have not become extinct and bee-keeping seems to be increasing and thriving thanks to all those bee-keepers making the effort to get other people into the profession.

If I were to sink money into bee-keeping anywhere in Scotland then I would opt for a method of keeping my hives indoors. This would not be my living room but instead could be a greenhouse or a specially designed shed structure. Anybody already doing this?

There are specially designed bee houses Dave
    Alpine-Bee_house.jpg

Bavaria I believe this one is in

Bees would not work for me in the living room as they are too ready to land on the TV screen at the first opportunity

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    There are specially designed bee houses Dave
    Alpine-Bee_house.jpg

Bavaria I believe this one is in

Bees would not work for me in the living room as they are too ready to land on the TV screen at the first opportunity

I would prefer a sturdy heated greenhouse where tomato's and grapes could be grown because bee-keeping is not an all-year-round job.

Thanks for the image of the Bavarian shed. I have started to use it for my sticky labels.

No worries Dave I stole it off the internet

I'll need to just pop out and check my Winter Tomatoes I don't think they are making much progress
    Thanks for the greenhouse idea I must get one

Silly to have bees in the living room, DR. Should have them in the bedroom, instead, so they can hum you to sleep :-)

Bees in greenhouse doesn't sound too good to me, chairman dave - too warm in the summer. The bees could die, and wax could melt. They expend a lot of effort on air-conditioning on really hot days.

Also, the walls would be too light - there would be a cloud of bees trying to get out through the glass every time you opened the hives. I'm forever rescuing them from the window in my bee shed, just the ones that come in for a nosey round my spare equipment.

Your tomatoes would be well pollinated though

Blog Entries

You wont be able to keep bees in a heated greenhouse. They need to chill and cluster over the winter and would fly out and die if the hive were kept in a heated area.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    You wont be able to keep bees in a heated greenhouse. They need to chill and cluster over the winter and would fly out and die if the hive were kept in a heated area.
    Well thats it I'm deffo not getting one now
    They sound useless

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    Well thats it I'm deffo not getting one now
    They sound useless
    But the farmer who I showed my designs to 15-years ago in Thurso said I could sell thousands of them if I build them!!!!!

I've kept mini-nucs in a frost-free (just) greenhouse overwinter. They did just fine. As others say ... far too hot in the summer.
    I've currently got bees in a bee shed, where they'll reside all year. However, I'm a beginner with bee sheds. There are others on here with much more experience.

Here's the best bee shed I've seen in a long time ...
    12651007_1029257823783320_4841397271438513233_n.jpg