Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Locations

Midges area natural phenomena like rain or wind. Choose your time and work with nature and all will be well. A bright day with a bit of wind will be midge free. A dull overcast day with a drizzle is impossible . I have a midge hat with a broad brim which keeps the veil off my face but it is too hot to work in
    I have kept bees on the sunny west coast in ullapool for 12 years and the midges and I have learned to coexist peacefully

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

That's a handy link to bookmark, Fatshark. I've asked BB Wear of they'd make me an extra hood with midgie netting, but they wouldn't do it. I might try again ...

I don't have any api life var, John, but I'll try the blue Avon this summer.

Kitta

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Quote Originally Posted by RDMW View Post
    ... A bright day with a bit of wind will be midge free. ...
    I suppose that's the only good part about all the wind on our hill: the midgies are often just blown away - but not always.

Kitta

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mellifera Crofter View Post
    That's a handy link to bookmark, Fatshark. I've asked BB Wear of they'd make me an extra hood with midgie netting, but they wouldn't do it. I might try again ...
    That has to be a business opportunity for someone out there. Pocket-money probably, but there would be a demand.

I can't imaging replacing the veil on one of those 'retro' suits (I think that's what BBwear call them) would be too tricky. The fencing mask-type would be more work. I don't think the veil material contributes to the 'rigidity' of the veil or whatever it's called that keeps it off your face.

Much as I like my BBwear suit and jacket, I wish they'd take a bit more effort with the thumb elastic. They're rubbish. I'm just replacing mine for this season.

Mosquitoes also target people who produce excess amounts of certain acids, such as uric acid, explains entomologist John Edman, PhD, spokesman for the Entomological Society of America. These substances can trigger mosquitoes' sense of smell, luring them to land on unsuspecting victims.

But the process of attraction begins long before the landing. Mosquitoes can smell their dinner from an impressive distance of up to 50 meters, explains Edman. This doesn't bode well for people who emit large quantities of carbon dioxide.

http://www.webmd.com/allergies/featu...osquito-magnet

So just off the top of my head that suggests a smelly person to sit at the edge of the apiary
    And holding your breath which you might be doing anyway

Gavin might know APS (Advanced Pest Solutions - now Dundee based) which, amongst other things, runs midge traps on the tees of pro golf events. Or used to perhaps, I don't know if they still do. These things emit carbon dioxide and trap kilograms of midges. They also have a midge forecast website so you can see if it's going to be bad and lather up with Avon

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    I can't imaging replacing the veil on one of those 'retro' suits (I think that's what BBwear call them) would be too tricky. The fencing mask-type would be more work. I don't think the veil material contributes to the 'rigidity' of the veil or whatever it's called that keeps it off your face.

Much as I like my BBwear suit and jacket, I wish they'd take a bit more effort with the thumb elastic. They're rubbish. I'm just replacing mine for this season.
    Just bought a suit from Mann Lake and it was in the sale when I went to checkout
    BBwear zips are great but I've had Mrs DR do the elastic loads of times in my jacket

There's a solution to the elastic.
    Fit a simple fabric loop at the end of the sleeve. Short and tidy. Then all you need to do is replace the elastic as and when needed by just doing a loop-to-loop connection. My needlework is almost as carp as my woodwork, but I've done this on a couple of suits and it works well.

When my new one arrives the BBwear will be getting a good boilwash and become my visiting other peoples bees jacket
    The current incumbent of the visiting jacket is a smock and will become my Morris Dancing jacket