[QUOTE=Fawcettpark;34258]Hi, I would be grateful for any advice on keeping bees in Scotland, particularly how far north is practical (Depending on site I guess and sources of food), and also advice on midges - are these a problem for beekeepers and gardeners . We are looking to move around the Callander area and to have bees ( I have done the basic courses) and also spend as much time out doors tending the garden - hence the midge question.
Many thanks for your help.[/QUOTE

When I consider where I would keep honey bees then I look at the environmental conditions they would endure. Callander is an area where people reside at altitudes between 70-200-M above sea level. Furthermore, the area is often subjected to abnormally low atmosphere air pressures (depressions). However, Scotland per se is subjected often to abnormally low air pressures and most of the land is way above sea level where wild bees have not become extinct and bee-keeping seems to be increasing and thriving thanks to all those bee-keepers making the effort to get other people into the profession.

If I were to sink money into bee-keeping anywhere in Scotland then I would opt for a method of keeping my hives indoors. This would not be my living room but instead could be a greenhouse or a specially designed shed structure. Anybody already doing this?