Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: DWV spread 'manmade'

You want Europe to levy bees moved within Europe ? Or do you mean imports from outside europe ?
    Should we levy fruit sellers for the next potential pest they bring in.
    Or irresponsible holiday makers and business men for risking our national health with their irresponsible business dealings and vacations ?
    After all think of the good that could be done with money raised from that . and the global carbon emissions reductions from everyone being too scared to leave the house.

I clipped this from an article fatshark provided the link to

"We found a direct relationship between
    virus frequency and the number of mites to which recipient
    bees were exposed. The more donor mites that were intro-
    duced per cell, the greater the incidence of virus that was
    detected in the recipient bee brood. This was most evident in
    bees exposed to four mites, which resulted in 100% infection"

Although that is not a complete solution it can help
    I believe using a Snelgrove board (snore, not again) might help as well

I'm looking for the Ladybird book of Sarcasm GG is it still in print ?

Sent from my LIFETAB_S1034X using Tapatalk
    Last edited by The Drone Ranger; 09-02-2016 at 11:35 AM.

I know that might treatments are compulsory in some countries, usually where there is no real brood break.
    Given the above there may be an argument for compulsory treatment in this country. Since the greater the incidence of a virus , the greater the likelihood of a more deadly mutation occurring. I would consider that a sensible precaution.
    Much as my previous post used the slightly ridiculous notion of effectively shutting down global transport, given that communicability of disease is much higher in humans because of our social nature. If fatsharks suggestion is a good idea in bees it must be at least advisable in humans.

You are right Fatshark...EU law would not allow that, and it would inevitably bring tit for tat measures against UK produce. It would also not raise any research funds, as the trade would simply stop or go underground. It can only be properly managed with a structure in place that does not make the incentive to circumvent it large enough for it to go that way.

Its an old story, but heard in the rather distant past, when rules were prohibitive, of bees being loaded on fishing boats at Portpatrick for the journey, unsupervised, across the North Channel. Make it TOO hard and it will happen. I also remember that trade being OK, as a youngster I attended a talk by Ian Maxwell about taking bees across to NI for pollination work (apples I think.)

Leaving the EU would work for a short while, though the damage to UK trade from erecting barriers could be pretty hefty, and we have at all times to remember.....we are of very minor importance, no matter how important such things are to US. I deeply resent the UKIPisation of UK policy, and in a way I hope the referendum goes against UK membership, not because that's what I want, but because it would precipitate another independence vote and we can get back in as more wholehearted and co-operative EU members than is the case at present.

A point on Fatsharks post no.44 as well. You highlight the bees going to people who might not recognise a novel strain of a virus or other disease issues if they are not trained to do so or have relevant experience. Do you think ANYONE is a nailed on cert to do so? I certainly would not be putting my hand up as one who felt confident to recognise if something was a variant of a previous condition. I know when I have a problem, but cannot say for sure I would know what that problem is exactly. I can rest perfectly assured in my own fallability, and only need to go back to the start of the EFB episode to know that to be the case. Not proud we did not recognise it. I have little confidence that, one or two types excepted, I would even know what virus it was, never mind if it was a new variant.

One great thing came from it. The active inspectorate and the relationship we all now can use with SASA. At least cases of doubt have a route to go down, where ordinary beeks like ourselves can use the services of Fiona and her excellent lab, and people like Fatshark are around to do what we are just not equipped to do....the research and the science.

Amateur beekeepers, professional beekeepers, the authorities, and the scientists all operate with their own agendas, but nonetheless we are a continuum, and in Scotland we are probably getting it more right than other places. Its our job to keep bees and provide honey to the public...........the amateurs are *often* more interested in it as a conservation exercise.............the scientists pursue information about all manner of things bee related.....and the authorities are left holding the reins of all these things and trying to achieve a balanced outcome. None of us will get exactly what we would like out of things, and that's just the way it will, and probably should, be.

Quote Originally Posted by Calluna4u View Post
    Do you think ANYONE is a nailed on cert to do so? I certainly would not be putting my hand up as one who felt confident to recognise if something was a variant of a previous condition. I know when I have a problem, but cannot say for sure I would know what that problem is exactly. I can rest perfectly assured in my own fallability, and only need to go back to the start of the EFB episode to know that to be the case. Not proud we did not recognise it. I have little confidence that, one or two types excepted, I would even know what virus it was, never mind if it was a new variant.
    [lots snipped from the above ... ]

I too wouldn't have the skill to recognise many. But you - and I suspect many reading this forum - are very experienced and would know something was amiss and would know what to do about it. But SBA members, SBAi contributors/readers and those involved and engaged with BKA activities aren't where all these bees end up. Lots - and you may have insight into what proportion - go to the 'wanna(have)bees' ... those keen to 'save the bees' by having a hive or two at the bottom of the garden and turning the tap in late-August to jar the honey. These are the ones who don't know about SASA or appreciate the excellent services that are available there ... these are the ones who account for a lot of the churn in beekeeping associations (join one year, leave the next), the colonies that "just died", the apiaries not registered on Beebase etc.

Within a mile or so of my new house I'm aware of 4 hives with supers on, in two separate apiaries, none of which have been looked at in the last 2 years. There are bound to be more.

We all have a responsibility that goes further than our desire to keep bees ... we are producing food for consumption and we're working with 'livestock' that need care and attention, both to achieve the former and to avoid damaging the enjoyment and livelihood of others, or of other things in the environment.

And on a lighter note ... what's the problem with this?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    Huh....journalists flying to get a story

Blog Entries

Lets move on to Superinfection exclusion in relation to DMV oops I mean DWV

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    Misprint that should read "Transformed wing virus"
    maxresdefault.jpg

Blog Entries

Its just a non lethal genetic mutation, perhaps a knockout or transgene gone wrong