There's an interesting paper in Science but I can only now get the press release ...

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releas...-bvs012916.php

and the same thing in ABJ

Exeter scientists claim that DWV spread globally matches the spread of beekeepers, or more correctly settlers ... i.e. the virus hasn't spread from country to neighbouring country slowly, it's moved when we've moved bees.

Lena Wilfert (lead author) is quoted "This is the first study to conclude that Europe is the backbone of the global spread of the bee killing combination of Deformed Wing Virus and Varroa. This demonstrates that the spread of this combination is largely manmade - if the spread was naturally occurring, we would expect to see transmission between countries that are close to each other, but we found that, for example, the New Zealand virus population originated in Europe. This significantly strengthens the theory that human transportation of bees is responsible for the spread of this devastating disease. We must now maintain strict limits on the movement of bees, whether they are known to carry Varroa or not. It's also really important that beekeepers at all levels take steps to control Varroa in their hives, as this viral disease can also affect wild pollinators."

I confidently predict that the word 'spread' will be dropped or ignored by some commentators who will claim that DWV is manmade. And don't bother asking me about Zeka being spread by genetic engineered mosquitoes ...

Here's a summary of the paper.

Moving bees, spreads disease ...