Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DWV spread 'manmade'

Default DWV spread 'manmade'

There's an interesting paper in Science but I can only now get the press release ...

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releas...-bvs012916.php

and the same thing in ABJ

Exeter scientists claim that DWV spread globally matches the spread of beekeepers, or more correctly settlers ... i.e. the virus hasn't spread from country to neighbouring country slowly, it's moved when we've moved bees.

Lena Wilfert (lead author) is quoted "This is the first study to conclude that Europe is the backbone of the global spread of the bee killing combination of Deformed Wing Virus and Varroa. This demonstrates that the spread of this combination is largely manmade - if the spread was naturally occurring, we would expect to see transmission between countries that are close to each other, but we found that, for example, the New Zealand virus population originated in Europe. This significantly strengthens the theory that human transportation of bees is responsible for the spread of this devastating disease. We must now maintain strict limits on the movement of bees, whether they are known to carry Varroa or not. It's also really important that beekeepers at all levels take steps to control Varroa in their hives, as this viral disease can also affect wild pollinators."

I confidently predict that the word 'spread' will be dropped or ignored by some commentators who will claim that DWV is manmade. And don't bother asking me about Zeka being spread by genetic engineered mosquitoes ...

Here's a summary of the paper.

Moving bees, spreads disease ...

Blog Entries

I just logged on to post a link to This http://us1.campaign-archive1.com/?u=...d&e=36c4f411cf
    But you beat me to it and summed it it very well.

Blog Entries

Just goes to show that the movement of bees accompanied by health certificates is hardly rigourous whenever the health certs do not take virus into account.

And in my opinion no matter the regulatory framework that's in place the arrival of SHB is inevitable so long as there are bee imports.

I've had a chance to read the paper now ... there are a few interesting points made in it, though perhaps nothing too surprising for the readership here. It's certainly good evidence for the 'ban imports' brigade ... DWV is globally spread already, but what about other viruses - unsuspected and definitely untested - that might be transmitted in a similar way.

It's also interesting that they find DWV in Australia ... this directly contradicts the recent studies from Australia that have failed to detect this virus in their bees.

Quote Originally Posted by drumgerry View Post
    And in my opinion no matter the regulatory framework that's in place the arrival of SHB is inevitable so long as there are bee imports.
    Hi Drumgerry
    An Importer of bees from Italy has openly said on this forum he is not concerned about SHB
    Also indirectly advertising his price for Italian package bees
    Why is that allowed ?

I don't recall that DR to be honest. And as for being allowed I'm not the person to be asking

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    Hi Drumgerry
    An Importer of bees from Italy has openly said on this forum he is not concerned about SHB
    Also indirectly advertising his price for Italian package bees
    Why is that allowed ?
    You might interpret it that way but it was a discussion of the economics of the issue, unless you seek to have that kind of debate shut down or censored.

If I WAS advertising I would not be choosing to do it here as, frankly, this is not a place where I would have thought ANY potential clients were to be found (I was wrong, way wrong, in that assumption btw).

Every precaution is taken to avoid SHB. However, as I have said before, and it appears you want to use it as a weapon against my own position (c'est la vie)....I do NOT fear SHB personally at all. Is only one opinion acceptable? Are the vast majority of people with SHB, even in far more favourable climates than ours, all wrong to have had experience of it and dismiss it as not important?

I well appreciate the tone of this forum, and that hostility to imports or even long distance moves, plus making it sound as scary as possible (SHB that is) is intended to galvanise opinions, but a prevailing view here is not really indicative of opinions as a whole, where there are many views held, of all possible colours.

ps...also...please do not go thinking/implying/or whatever that my OWN opinions about SHB in ANY way make the precautions taken, the care taken, and the distant sourcing, any less than they would be if my view was different. They do not colour the issue whatsoever, especially as almost without exception these bees are not for me.
    Last edited by Calluna4u; 06-02-2016 at 07:58 PM.

You have convincingly argued that shb isn't really to be feared, this may be true, however, the thread is about viruses.
    Also, however benign you believe shb would be in our climate, the authorities will almost certainly deal with the initial incursion with draconian measures which will be much to be feared by the unfortunate beekeepers forced to face them.

Apologies for the thread drift MBC - it was me who brought the subject of SHB into it