Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Starting up with Langstroth hives

Just realised who the speaker is !

Quote Originally Posted by greengumbo View Post
    Just realised who the speaker is !
    Is it that John Bercow
    the recent replacement for jimmy krankie
    (who I always thought was a bit too effeminate for the job)

anyway.......Langstroths. I'm costing up a bunch of hives direct from Swienty but the foundation and frames price looks a bit steeper than some other sites. Anyone dealt with Mann Lake or know of the best cost suppliers for lang deeps ?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by greengumbo View Post
    anyway.......Langstroths. I'm costing up a bunch of hives direct from Swienty but the foundation and frames price looks a bit steeper than some other sites. Anyone dealt with Mann Lake or know of the best cost suppliers for lang deeps ?
    In the 2014 December sale Thornes charged £37 per 50 for any Lang frame. Their prices for the shows (Bee Tradex, Harper Adams, Greenmount) in 2015 were significantly cheaper. I *think* you need to pick them up at one of the shows but might be mistaken. I don't know if they would be best cost for Langs but I think the shows price last spring was the best available.

I came into the winter looking after four colonies in MannLake langstroth boxes for someone who had lost his apiary, now, at a time when i'm actually looking at a drastic downsizing I've just been given those colonies!

What I will say is that the frames he used, wedge top bar with pre drilled side bars, are very good quality and well worth the catalogue price of +/- £80 per 100. Their sale is coming up any day so that may well be worth a look. I don't think the frames and boxes were included last year but I've already seen an advert including the boxes for this upcoming event so I'd imagine that there's a good chance that the frames may also be included.

The unframed wire excluders which he bought also look very good for £6 each.

One thing did strike me while looking through them. I have a suspicion that the entrance is on the wrong side of the hive. I know that plenty of people get by really well with them as they are but if I was using that hive I'd be trying a few with the entrance on the longside. I think that they might do better; I'm certain that the comb would be used better.

There's nothing like armchair beekeeping is there?!
    Last edited by prakel; 02-02-2016 at 09:03 AM.

I use Maisemore and/or Thorne's seconds for jumbos at £35 for 50.. Minimal issues. (have to drill holes for wires but not an issue).

Quote Originally Posted by madasafish View Post
    I use Maisemore and/or Thorne's seconds for jumbos at £35 for 50.. Minimal issues. (have to drill holes for wires but not an issue).
    Can't comment on the one as I've not used their seconds, but agree that Thorne's (dadant) seconds are sound enough for the job (although I would feel the need to pay extra and get a decent bottom bar). But if I was going over to langstroth I wouldn't look beyond the ML offering simply because in my oppinion there isn't enough difference in price to not buy their firsts. As for holes, it's a pleasant enough job to drill them but I bet it's even nicer to have them delivered pre-drilled.

Quote Originally Posted by prakel View Post
    Can't comment on the one as I've not used their seconds, but agree that Thorne's (dadant) seconds are sound enough for the job (although I would feel the need to pay extra and get a decent bottom bar). But if I was going over to langstroth I wouldn't look beyond the ML offering simply because in my oppinion there isn't enough difference in price to not buy their firsts. As for holes, it's a pleasant enough job to drill them but I bet it's even nicer to have them delivered pre-drilled.
    I just had an email about their sales this friday so that looks a distinct possibility

Quote Originally Posted by prakel View Post
    I'd be trying a few with the entrance on the longside. I think that they might do better; I'm certain that the comb would be used better.
    Every langstroth hive I've ever come across has the entrance on the short side, they work fine like this and I couldn't imagine any reason why theyd be better the other way, for a start, you'd either be twisting your back or working directly in front of their entrance, couldn't be doing with that at all!

Quote Originally Posted by mbc View Post
    you'd either be twisting your back or working directly in front of their entrance, couldn't be doing with that at all!
    Maybe I'm missing something obvous but I really don't get the thinking behind this. Whenever I've worked a hive set up 'warm way' in the past I've always positioned myself behind it; never needed to twist my back or stand in front of the entrance. I just can't see why it would be any different with a langstroth if it was set up that way.