Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Moving your Bee's

Quote Originally Posted by prakel View Post
    To be fair, his question was actually about how best to load the hives, safely, on a tractor pulled trailer. Not how to carry them for a km.... apparently, only mad men who've spent their lives lifting throwing and wrestling awkard and heavy objects for fun do that sort of thing .
    Hi Parkel, thank you for reading my post in full, YES you are totally correct!!!

There are two ways into the field but one you CAN'T get a 4x4 or anything else in but on foot and its about 1 km walk
    and

The other access point is very bumpy but he can get the bees down to the field for me with this tractor and his trailer, now my question is to you guys that move your bees over bumpy ground is there anything I should do before loading on to this trailer ?
    wedge the frames so that they don't move ect ?
    Thanks for all that have answered the first part of this TWO part post I know I'm mad but not that mad to try and carry a hive 1km lol
    But if you have anything else that you would like to add to the second part of my question then please please do

Maybe I was not specific enough.

Getting the bees in on a trailer helped by the farmer is fine. I meant the gross inconvenience of trying to work the bees there when you CANT get a tractor and trailer...or was there one going to be available each management visit?

Quote Originally Posted by Calluna4u View Post
    Maybe I was not specific enough.

Getting the bees in on a trailer helped by the farmer is fine. I meant the gross inconvenience of trying to work the bees there when you CANT get a tractor and trailer...or was there one going to be available each management visit?
    I think that one will be available to me if I need to put one extra suppers or remove them and the hives when the time comes. Any other time if its just a visit to see how there doing then a good walk i'm sure will do me good

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Quote Originally Posted by gwizzie View Post
    ... if its just a visit to see how there doing then a good walk i'm sure will do me good
    Don't forget your hive tool in your car!

I think it might help if you keep enough extra hives and frames at the site to take care of things that might need immediate attention, such as bees planning to swarm.

Kitta

Fair enough
    Well the only solution I think is have the farmer take all the hives empty to the site and take the bees on foot
    A 2.5kg package of bees should not be too heavy if you carry them in a Tesco's bag or similar
    Job done

I have a hyena a monkey and a bag of nuts to get over a river I can only get one of them in my boat at a time what can I do ?

Sent from my LIFETAB_S1034X using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post

I have a hyena a monkey and a bag of nuts to get over a river I can only get one of them in my boat at a time what can I do ?

Sent from my LIFETAB_S1034X using Tapatalk
    You only need to make one extra trip to get your cargo across the river, DR - but if I had to trek a kilometre to get to my apiary, I know I shall be unfortunate enough to have to trek that distance many, many times to get this of that that I might have forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Mellifera Crofter View Post
    You only need to make one extra trip to get your cargo across the river, DR - but if I had to trek a kilometre to get to my apiary, I know I shall be unfortunate enough to have to trek that distance many, many times to get this of that that I might have forgotten.
    Hi Kitta
    You are right
    Some problems are difficult but have a solution
    Others not so much
    Sorry to hear about your hives floating off like that
    I am trying to bring a few mininucs through so if you need replacement queens or something just PM
    I am doing some frame building with Wendy next weekend I will tell her what you have had to deal with
    John

A 2.5kg package of bees should not be too heavy if you carry them in a Tesco's bag or similar
    Job done
    Have you seen the price of carrier bags these days LOL

Also bags for life are better

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    Hi Kitta
    ... Sorry to hear about your hives floating off like that ... so if you need replacement queens or something just PM ...
    Thanks John. You're the second offer of help should I need queens in the spring. The bees in all of my Kon-Tiki hives seem very happy - so I'm hoping for the best.

As for Gwizzie's orchard apiary, a kilometre trek seems nothing compared to tending the bees in this apiary in Shennongjia Nature Reserve (but I think you've all seen photos of this apiary before):

001aa018f80215775a8008.jpg