Thread: Varroa snelgrove effect

Default Varroa snelgrove effect

Question for DR please. Very low counts of varroa this year after using the snelgrove boards for the first time. Varroa proof mesh between the splits and a for most a brood break of 4 to 6 weeks in the v rich top section.
    Coincidence?

Quote Originally Posted by nemphlar View Post
    Question for DR please. Very low counts of varroa this year after using the snelgrove boards for the first time. Varroa proof mesh between the splits and a for most a brood break of 4 to 6 weeks in the v rich top section.
    Coincidence?
    Hi nemphlar
    It's not going to hurt anyway
    I chopped this post down a bit
    when I read it back I wasn't saying anything you haven't already sussed out
    PM sent instead
    Last edited by The Drone Ranger; 23-01-2016 at 12:43 AM. Reason: bad link see below

Oops bad link I will find the right one
    this should give the instructions for making a Snelgrove board
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4k...ew?usp=sharing
    I gave up on the frame trapping and moved the board date back to the start of May
    The SBA website has some instructions but I think its down for now
    hopefully this link will work now
    Last edited by The Drone Ranger; 23-01-2016 at 12:44 AM. Reason: fix link in previous post and put it here as well

Those are good instructions DR. I'd also consider treating the bottom box - Q + foragers - with OA to give them a clean start in life as well. I do a simple vertical split sometimes, turning the box rather than having the plethora of doors to confuse me

Hi Fatshark
    I use a record card per hive with spaces for dates and next action to keep me right

Sent from my LIFETAB_S1034X using Tapatalk

I followed the DR system last year, the card keeps it simple. I think some people are put off, because the technique is a wee bit repetitive and confusing to read. For small time keepers it's a much undervalued system, with hopefully a positive impact in early season varroa control.
    I did have a spec saver moment where I opened the doors on the bottom board locking the top lot in and went on holiday for 10 days, they were fine

Hope this year we can get the timing spot on nemphlar
    I have senior moments which result in similar things happening