Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Scottish parliament honey

Plan Bee? Similar business model to KVH but I don't know much about them otherwise. Edit - just looked on their website! Adopt a feckin bee?!!! You've got be be kidding me! Words fail me...

The way I see it the business model is bound to come a cropper once people realise that the "crisis" is a fiction. Maybe best to get in and get out quick having maximised your earnings while you still have people fooled eh?!
    Last edited by drumgerry; 15-01-2016 at 12:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by drumgerry View Post
    Plan Bee? Similar business model to KVH but I don't know much about them otherwise. ?!
    If they were dogs, folk have been shooting the Chihuahua.....and paying no attention to the Irish Wolfhound in the same game. They are sizeable and very slick operators.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Calluna4u View Post
    Whilst its just plain daft to use bees that are poor performers in an area, the term locally adapted is misused to mean native types, and I have seen plenty Amm that were rubbish in this area, and plenty stock of non local origin that is brilliant and cross well.
    You'll have seen plenty of the reverse too I presume?

In general, according to most observers, crossing between different types of bee - in the second generation if not the first - can yield a particularly aggressive bee. Perhaps that is ameliorated if you are using highly bred particularly gentle stock to start with. However we don't know the provenance of the parliamentary Buckfast bees. What we do know is that within two weeks of their arrival, there was a swarm settling just over the building. So they were likely straight into the next queen generation right away - as often happens with folk inexperienced in beekeeping (or trying to manage them from a base on the other side of Scotland).

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.co...ment-1-3461421

I suspect the denial of ownership was a political denial.

I don't see any temper advantage in stocking the Scottish Parliament hives with a strain like Buckfast unless the beekeeper nearby (there is one, I know nothing about his bees) is keeping the same strain, or they are repeatedly requeening with a pure line.

Quote Originally Posted by drumgerry View Post
    Adopt a feckin bee?!!!
    I think you're onto a winner there drumgerry ...

GoDaddy_Domain_Name_Search_Tool.png

A clever combination appealing both to those keen to 'Save the bees' and those who are easily intimidated ... nice one

Interesting (by which I mean in a disappointing) that people are happy enough to support this sort of nonsense but baulk at paying realistic amounts for local honey, instead opting to buy the 'Produce of EU and non-EU countries' from the local supermarket ...

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    You'll have seen plenty of the reverse too I presume?

I have certainly seen quite a few. Pure Italians would be a start on that list, and almost all the stock I have seen out of Greece, and yet to see a good Caucasian for here. But those are performance issues rather than temperament.

In general, according to most observers, crossing between different types of bee - in the second generation if not the first - can yield a particularly aggressive bee. Perhaps that is ameliorated if you are using highly bred particularly gentle stock to start with. However we don't know the provenance of the parliamentary Buckfast bees. What we do know is that within two weeks of their arrival, there was a swarm settling just over the building. So they were likely straight into the next queen generation right away - as often happens with folk inexperienced in beekeeping (or trying to manage them from a base on the other side of Scotland).

That we don't know their provenance was essentially the point I was making from the start. I don't know and I suspect others don't know either. Many people call their bees Buckfast all over the world, yet it might be 15 or 20 years since they last had true Buckfast blood added. They could be Buckfast of several generations vintage and locally bred to boot. I just don't know, and not going to hang a stricken enterprise on the basis of internet chatter.

I had said so many times I think this is a case of give a dog a bad name and it smells. Over many thousands of crosses I have never seen this to be true, or even near to true. Others say differently, but have never had a hive that was aggressive because it was a cross. Bad genetics to begin with is another matter altogether. Nasty bees in the mix then nasty bees will be around, and it only needs one sub family to be nasty and it seems like the whole colony is nasty. You and I both know my opinion that nasty bees, and I mean really nasty, in our area possibly have an iberica content, and having seen plenty of these in the past I would not wish them or their crosses on anyone.

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.co...ment-1-3461421

I suspect the denial of ownership was a political denial.

Common thing, political denial of swarms.........a 'cant be arsed' denial perhaps too?

I don't see any temper advantage in stocking the Scottish Parliament hives with a strain like Buckfast unless the beekeeper nearby (there is one, I know nothing about his bees) is keeping the same strain, or they are repeatedly requeening with a pure line.

As I understand it, from someone who knows the situation better than I, the bees are only put there is spring and taken away again later in the season and are currently wintering somewhere else. Whether the same bees or fresh ones go back there I do not know.
    Also of relevance to this thread might be examples such as those hives at the butterfly house near Dalkeith? Chatting to them on a visit there they were intentionally selected to be gentle bees for the sake of the visitors, according to 'their beekeeper' who is not a staff member. What were they? Again Buckfasts according to the staff member I was speaking to. They were advised NOT to have local black bees by whoever it was. So the prevalent opinion on here is far from universal.

Fatshark - best laugh I've had in ages! How about savethefeckinbees.com or thebeesaredyinoot.co.uk?

It's better for all concerned if queen selection is primarily for good behaviour
    If you are replacing your bees or even queens every year then that becomes someone else's responsibility
    For most of us that's not the case so we need to raise queens from the best behaved stock we have

If you are a beekeeper with a couple of years experience that doesn't have bees coming out of their ears, and not enough equipment to stick them in
    Then you are either doing something very wrong or are very lucky to be able to afford all the hives you need

Once you realise that, then the next step is to be more particular about which queens head the hives

I have hybrids and they are fine in most cases with a bit of weeding out
    Despite that its better for me if my neighbour doesn't keep bringing in quantities of new stock all the time
    That gives me some chance of stability and predictable swarm times etc

The odd queen or two won't make much difference and might even be beneficial

Right so having said that I would also say that I have one pretty pure(ish) Amm queen, who's bees are as well behaved and productive as the very best I already have, (should add that they filled two brood boxes and didn't swarm )
    I can't say that all the queens the breeder raised would be equally good because they are all individuals but there is a fair chance

I grafted from her last year and the daughters bees had no aggression issues as far as I could tell

So I'm inclined to say if you are in the market for a queen you will get most of the attributes you want from a well bred Amm but the next generation will still be a cross (same as every other breed), so unless you have very deep pockets, then choosing from the best of your own eventually is the only way forward
    Last edited by The Drone Ranger; 15-01-2016 at 05:45 PM. Reason: forgot to mention swarming

Blog Entries

What about this one is it similar??
    http://www.bbka.org.uk/about/adopt_a_beehive/

Phil?

Better not mention this to Bron ...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    Phil?

Better not mention this to Bron ...
    adoptafeckinscottishbeehivetoraisemoneyfortheengli shBBKA.com

They've managed to rope in folk to do the Welsh and Norn Iron Adopt-a-Hive too. That's going to work wonders for any campaign for a little honesty in the naming of the BBKA.