Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IR imaging

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    You can either add an IR filter or modify a digital SLR to take IR photos (by taking _out_ the filter that usually cuts out IR). The former is easier and much cheaper (about £30 for a filter) but I've no idea whether it's sensitive enough to get the sort of information shown in the pic posted by Gavin.

There think there was a comment on the BKF recently about using a handheld IR thermometer pointed at the crownboard to determine whether the queen was laying (or the colony was brooding, can't remember which) during winter inspections. I seem to remember that 16oC was mentioned but can't remember where I saw it (probably on a "should I treat with OA now thread").
    That was me. 16C.

Blog Entries

I have one of these and while aplying Apibioxal yesterday (It stopped raining at last for a few hours) Measure the temp of the colony one was 4 degrees one was 6 degrees and one was 14 degrees why the big differance I wonder maybe because the last one had more bees, i dont know??
    http://buy4less.co.za/shop/infrared-...free-shipping/

Quote Originally Posted by Greengage View Post
    I have one of these and while aplying Apibioxal yesterday (It stopped raining at last for a few hours) Measure the temp of the colony one was 4 degrees one was 6 degrees and one was 14 degrees why the big differance I wonder maybe because the last one had more bees, i dont know??
    http://buy4less.co.za/shop/infrared-...free-shipping/
    A lot depends on the heat loss. ALL my hives have at least 100mm of roof insulation - and hive cosies (except the poly one which has only a tophat cover to prevent condensation round teh roof seams.) - and I measure the temperature on the crownboard immediately after removing the insulation. The exeternal temperature ambient was c10C at the time..