Thread: Cbpv

Default Cbpv

Just reading the thread in the bee health section about the EFSA report , in it ITLD mentions bee paralysis possibly being a problem in the north this year. I was just wondering if there is anything to combat this virus?

Blog Entries

As a widespread virus there isn't a lot you can do to counteract it. It is supposed to be worse when bees are confined, as in poor summers. Faeces spread it, just like Nosema. Some have reported that some kinds of bee seem to show it more than others - worth commenting C4U?

DR has posted a video link to Chronic Bee Paralysis Virus (which is what the OP asked about after all). However, my informal chats at a couple of bee meetings late last season suggest the precise identity of the virus - whether chronic, acute or slow (there may be more?) - is unclear. Gavin is correct though. There's no treatment. You can't necessarily do much about confinement but you should keep Varroa levels as low as practical as this is another route of transmission ...

Didn't think there was much that could be done but thought i'd check on here for up to date thinking!

C4U's comments on the subject got me thinking about my bees, the last two seasons i have seen lots of crawling bees on the ground around the apiary. Its disheartening to see but by the sounds of it not the only one suffering from it.

Geo
    It might help to put in a swarm board in May or do a Bailey comb exchange
    Both these put them on clean new comb
    The board still gives a chance of honey
    Just a thought not based on anything other than the transmission routes are contact and faeces
    The bees will probably eject infected individuals and if not then a queen replacement from a good breeder might be worth a punt
    If you go that route try Jon on here,
    They are Amm but that's less important (to me) they are gentle productive and healthy he will tell you if he has seen any evidence of susceptibility

Think it over for yourself
    If what I posted doesn't make sense then ignore it

Sent from my LIFETAB_S1034X using Tapatalk

Thanks for your reply, my thinking also was to change queens. Will see what next season brings. Interesting thought on Jon's Queens, thanks.