Thread: Storing extracted supers wet

Default Storing extracted supers wet

I have a few supers extracted too late to let my bees clean them. I have read that they can be fed back to the bees next season - even if they start to ferment - but am unsure if this is good practice. Grateful if anyone can advise on this.

Blog Entries

I did it once and they were fine. I guess storing the wet supers somewhere dryish would help.

I've always been able to get my supers cleaned up before storage. I have some old frames and dark comb in a pile in the corner and any honey has absorbed moisture from the air and is dripping out. The pollen beetles have done their thing too and there's pollen dust on the floor.

A reminder to me - I do need to check supers for wax moth damage as it's not been cold enough yet to kill off any yet- if they happen to be in the supers.

I store all my supers wet, it becomes necessary when you have 500+, it deters wax moth and any left over honey or mess will quickly get cleaned up by the bees if they're ready for a super.
    Edit : I do stack them with a sheet of newspaper between each one(stops moths spreading and soaks up alot of mess) and a qx top and bottom to deter rodents.
    Last edited by mbc; 03-01-2016 at 03:24 PM.

mbc, is there any specific reason you place queen excluders at the top and bottom instead of (say) plywood?

mbc ... presumably with 500+ these go outdoors? What do you stand them on and cover them with?

Quote Originally Posted by Black Comb View Post
    mbc, is there any specific reason you place queen excluders at the top and bottom instead of (say) plywood?
    Rats and mice can't eat through qx's

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    mbc ... presumably with 500+ these go outdoors? What do you stand them on and cover them with?
    I prefer to have them indoors but many are placed on pallets outside as I'm reorganising and building new warehousing at the moment. The ones outside are on floors, qx's, a roof on top, four stacks together on a pallet and a tarp over the top. Drawn comb is a valuable comodity to me and I'd prefer my supers to be out of the wind and rain when not on the hives.

Not poly then mbc
    I'm guessing

Sent from my LIFETAB_S1034X using Tapatalk

I have a few poly supers, more brood boxes in poly but not enough, if anybody wishes to buy me all new poly equipment I wouldn't complain, but until my fairy godmother comes good I'll make do with what I've got.