Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Hive monitoring - DIY

DSCF2139.jpg

Thats 10 temperature sensors(one for each space between frames)
    2 graphs with 4 on each (5 wont fit) over period of about a day
    Next step humidity and tilt hopefully
    The big number on right is millis and shows it has been about 9.5 hours since last reboot
    The data is uploaded from my wifi network(for now) and its accessible via mobile phone anywhere via an android app

Power consumption is high lots of issues to address but its a start
    Hope to have more done by next week
    Last edited by The Drone Ranger; 27-02-2016 at 03:30 PM.

Good job ... I was thinking about this today when reading the "use of nucs" article in the BBKA magazine. The instructions are to move a small colony into a nuc to encourage it to draw more comb 'because it's warmer'. I wonder whether anyone has actually ever measured the between frame temperature difference in a nuc vs a full sized brood box containing a similar sized colony. I'd strongly suspect that, when not covered in bees, the temperature wasn't hugely different.

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    Good job ... I was thinking about this today when reading the "use of nucs" article in the BBKA magazine. The instructions are to move a small colony into a nuc to encourage it to draw more comb 'because it's warmer'. I wonder whether anyone has actually ever measured the between frame temperature difference in a nuc vs a full sized brood box containing a similar sized colony. I'd strongly suspect that, when not covered in bees, the temperature wasn't hugely different.
    A good thing to do as a project
    Might get some interesting results from that

Proto crownboard
    DSCF2143.jpg

I think sensors could be mounted on slides to fit in with frame spacing
    this is just for testing
    I'm not sure measuring at the top will work because of circulation all the air up there might be about the same temp
    Last edited by The Drone Ranger; 27-02-2016 at 06:19 PM.

Humidity added now
    Waiting for tilt sensor
    but
    Haven't done any power saving and the code is messy

Hope if I can I get to the testing on a hive stage somebody can step in and fix all that
    Does anybody know how to use github ?
    Sent from my S208 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by The Drone Ranger; 02-03-2016 at 09:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    Humidity added now
    Waiting for tilt sensor
    but
    Haven't done any power saving and the code is messy

Hope if I can I get to the testing on a hive stage somebody can step in and fix all that
    Does anybody know how to use github ?
    Sent from my S208 using Tapatalk
    Hope this help you bud ? https://guides.github.com/activities/hello-world/

Thanks Graham
    That's very helpful

Sent from my LIFETAB_S1034X using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    I came across this comment during my first year, it influenced my thinking & my practice quite a lot:
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/arch.../t-252193.html
    "When I was in school in Ohio, my Professor put heat sensors in a beehive. They were placed in the cluster, beside the cluster, in otherwords laterally between the cluster and the outside wall, above the cluster and outside of the hive and a number of sensors in an apple tree, it being apple blossom time.
    The temp in the cluster was 98 degrees. At the edge of the cluster it was approximately 45 to 50 degrees. Above the cluster it wasn't 98, but it was much warmer than beside the cluster. (I wish my memory were better as to the data.)
    The temp between the cluster and the sidewall, away from the cluster, was the same as the temperature outside of the hive.
    That is what I have seen and experienced."

I'll be fascinated to hear what results you get, DR. If you have problems with github I probably know someone who could help.
    Still just want my own bees wired for sound.

Thanks Emma
    I just want to be able to put the hacked up code on Github so people can get at it and use / fix / improve it

I don't think you will get much in the way of results from my efforts ?
    I will be happy once I have crown board that can slot on where the frame spacing varies to fit
    I looked at tilt sensors (hive fell over) but I think an accelerometer has some advantages so working on that now

The Android software is Blynk
    The board is a WeMos D1

I haven't explored sound yet

This wont suit everyone because it's using wireless internet connection
    I'll be trying the mobile route on 3 network but some people might be in range of their own or a BT Fon etc

I have some ideas for a bluetooth alternative
    Last edited by The Drone Ranger; 06-03-2016 at 12:16 PM.

Way over my head, DR My only ambition for this winter is that I might, for the first time ever, be able to catch up with basic equipment-fettling in time for the season. Hoping to get a chance to do more fancy stuff next winter: I'll catch up with understanding some of this thread then.
    Might be able to get wifi at my apiary, with a bit of work. Phone signal there is rubbish.

OK Emma
    Now I can tell if the hive is upright ,moving, leaning, or fallen over
    The idea being because all the data gets sent up to the Blynk server you can log in with the Blynk App and get real time data on what's going on at the hive from anywhere
    Should be able to put some details and code up soon
    The list of materials isnt huge

About £50 worth all up

A portable WiFi hub Huawei costs £20 comes with 1 Gb data sim (I haven't tested that method yet) That would need its own portable power brick as well
    Not sure if it's a viable option or not

Sent from my LIFETAB_S1034X using Tapatalk