Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter bee watching

Question Winter bee watching

Hi Folks,

Sorry not been around been busy working 7 days a week just now never mind end in site soon I hope....

Anyway I have a few questions regarding wintering your bee's... On visiting my bees today just to do a visual check that all hives were upright, I noticed that most of the hives were VERY active ? temp here today is 13deg.

Is this just bees going on the water run and a few going to the toilet ?

Is this common and ok as I thought that they would be wrapped up for the year ?

Will they not be using more food stores ?

Thanks again in advance.

First time I've been at home during daylight yesterday and the bees were flying from all colonies very strongly. Great to see them doing wee cleansing flights over the field before returning to the hives. Saw one on a borage flower as well. In December ! I think it was about 12'C at noon.

It was so warm I had to take steps with Christmas dinner Turkey "Lurkey" that has been hanging in the loft at 4'C for the past few days and gut and dress it (is this the most middle class thing thats ever been written on SBAi?).

Oh the humanity.

Quote Originally Posted by greengumbo View Post
    First time I've been at home during daylight yesterday and the bees were flying from all colonies very strongly. Great to see them doing wee cleansing flights over the field before returning to the hives. Saw one on a borage flower as well. In December ! I think it was about 12'C at noon.

It was so warm I had to take steps with Christmas dinner Turkey "Lurkey" that has been hanging in the loft at 4'C for the past few days and gut and dress it (is this the most middle class thing thats ever been written on SBAi?).

Oh the humanity.
    Hi thanks!

Sorry not sure what your reply has to do with the questions I asked ?

Ah yes !

>Most likely - that's what mine are up to when flying at this time of year.

>As long as its warm enough they will be out and about.

>Possibly - have you hefted your hives ? Give them a Christmas gift of fondant

Quote Originally Posted by greengumbo View Post
    Ah yes !

>Most likely - that's what mine are up to when flying at this time of year.

>As long as its warm enough they will be out and about.

>Possibly - have you hefted your hives ? Give them a Christmas gift of fondant
    LOL thanks I have a few Christmas gift of fondant already wrapped up for them

Blog Entries

14 degrees in Malinhead last night (Thursday) at 4.10am mad or what.....

Hi Greengage
    They were all flying yesterday
    I can't get my Winter treatment started

Sent from my LIFETAB_S1034X using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

I discussed this i.e the treatment with Apibioxal with some local beekeepers and I suggested that I should wait until temps drop below 4 degrees and there is no brood (How without opening I dont know as ivy Pollen is still being brought in) anyway temp are set for 13 degres today and no sign of it droping alarmingly until after christmas as El Nino is moving warm air up over the country. I think I will just have to go for it before Jan 1st and hope for the best at least thats what others are going to be doing so fingers crossed they are right.

It is warm for the time of year Greengage and the bees have been out flying around so it is just a case of waiting
    It will get cold soon and if we get a dry day after a week or so of cold weather then I'm just going to go for it
    When you get past Xmas the day length starts lengthening and laying will be even more likely
    You can never be sure there won't be brood but the treatment will still be worth doing
    I think because evaporation carries on working for longer it might be better in these circumstances
    but who knows for sure

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    who knows for sure?

not me - I've never seen pollen being brought into a hive that did not have or was very quickly about to get brood, but then I've never looked in Dec/Jan. So there is the issue. I've got hives packing in the pollen at the weekend so I think I'll wait until after some cold weather, into later Jan probably before washing my frames with OA.