Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Build the Buzz

Blog Entries

Default Build the Buzz

Am I missing something, Honey bees in danger,"It will give beekeepers access to unprecedented data on
    bee behaviour and will become invaluable in the fight to save British bees. Eat Natural believes that research into the British honey bee and a greater understanding of
    its annual cycle is crucial to human survival;".
    Dont tell them but I know where there are about 1 million bees. How many do you have to have for them to be in danger.
    http://www.bbka.org.uk/files/pressre...1450197431.pdf

Isn't this similar to the kind of equipment that forum members are discussing on another current thread? I'm not 100% certain because I'm nowhere near intelligent enough to understand a fraction of that other discussion but if it is the same then it seems to have a lot of supporters here already.

I hope the sensitive technological equipment to gather data from within the beehive they choose is backed up by a company that responds a bit more rapidly than the one that rhymes with Narnia! They seem to take a week or more to respond to very simple email enquiries.

I'm not sure what valuable scientific info Temperature and humidity gives but I'm not a scientist
    But if that's all you wanted to monitor then that's a simple project for anybody
    It only gets more involved if you want to network all your hives and sit in the house viewing the results online etc
    I have something else in mind but just now I am on a learning curve with the AtTiny85

Hi DR ... and I'm waiting expectantly for more little parcels from eBay, element14 and (the book to help a numpty like me) Amazon. I'm going the Arduino or derivative clone route, probably sticking everything to SD card initially then worrying about making a beehive part of the Internet of Things. Priorities will then be power (and implementing standby/sleep correctly), though I have one apiary that might just be in range of both power and WiFi which makes all things possible

(N)arnia show an interesting slide in their flyer that shows how brood temperature is related to whether the queen is laying or not. Unstable when not laying or absent, remarkably stable when present.

Hi Fatshark
    That sound sensible to me anyway
    These are £4.00 + £1.00 del from Weardale on Ebay
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2720598669...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    They have the same USB to Serial as the official Arduino which is a good thing
    CPC are good for components etc
    I would register at Udemy.com but don't book any courses
    Sometime after you will start getting offers of courses for £10 that's when to think about booking

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    Hi DR ... and I'm waiting expectantly for more little parcels from eBay, element14 and (the book to help a numpty like me) Amazon. I'm going the Arduino or derivative clone route, .
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8_xXNcGYgo
    Try this guy Fatshark he does a pretty comprehensive set of videos free on youtube
    Last edited by The Drone Ranger; 16-12-2015 at 10:15 PM.

Great links thanks DR. Also pleased to see there are videos on python (a language I'm more familiar with) usage with Arduino. Amazing prices for these little boards ...

The Arnia pages on hive their hive monitors brood temperature and queenright status or laying status are here. I just took the two relevant pages out of their data sheets. This may be available online, but they sent it to me when requested.

But first I have 30b of soft set honey to jar

Hi Fatshark
    Thanks for the Arnia temperature info
    That clears up what they are measuring temp and humidity for
    What I am wondering is where they put the sensors because the broodnest could be in another part of the hive
    I have a DT11 now and it was incredibly easy to set up with Arduino Uno
    I haven't used it with the ATtiny yet because the tiny doesn't have hardware serial and I haven't had time to work out the software serial setup yet

Sent from my LIFETAB_S1034X using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

I have one of them PIC18F26K22 44 pin development boards along with PICkit3. Maybe not as user friendly as Arduino but programming principles are much the same. Slowly learning C to get the chip to control a robotic thingy I'm making but I've been playing about with the notion of using load cells and storing data in the memory to be downloaded somehow? later. The only thing I'd find useful with the arnia system would be the scales and recording sound frequency ranges for swarm prediction as per Woods - easy to do this in real time but logging and transmitting data is where I'd be stuck