Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: EFSA report on risks of spread of small hive beetle

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    Nice to see you back C4u
    Sorry to hear the reason you were away was a sad one
    I was beginning to think I had upset you

The apple growers themselves recommend not introducing honey bees to orchards until 20% of the crop is in flower otherwise the bees will fixate on something else and continue with it while ignoring the trees
    What I have said is that losing so many colonies that you have to import replacements comes as a complete surprise to me
    I thought the purpose of bee keeping was to keep them not lose them every winter
    I am genuinely amazed that that could be considered "normal"
    I appreciate that beekeepers in general have no say in where imported bees come from, its decided by the BFA and companies who have the ear of the Government (at the moment)
    I just object to the arguments put up that its all for our own benefit or we will starve
    Good to see you putting that to bed

I appreciate you are the only person prepared to admit that its a commercial decision based on what's good for your business
    Can't blame you for that, but when Small hive beetle gets here I might (unfairly) be blaming you for that

I'm beginning to realise that I have been a bit blind to what really goes on and I'm not sure beekeeping benefits from real scrutiny
    How would it all play out in the press compared to "help us to save the honey bee" etc
    I have a thick hide and am hard to offend lol.

SHB....in the opinion of MOST places that have had it......is almost a non issue. The horror stories all come from a small number of southern US states, as do the scary photos much reproduced in the alarming documentation supporting strong action. I do not fear it at all, and having spoken to people who actually have it their response is generally to ask what all the fuss is about.

That you have very few losses ever does not actually reflect on the true picture of beekeeping across the country. In one recent winter the overall loss rate was close on 60%. That you had 10% is both laudable and probably fortunate. I saw very good beekeepers almost wiped out. Angus was a badly hit county, and the highest I know of, outwith the very small amateurs where some had no bees left at all, was 98% losses in one outfit. That same winter we only lost 15% in our poly operation but variable between 40 and 60% in the wooden hives. They were well fed, looked OK in autumn, but collapsed in the late winter. The worrying thing was, like in 2015, all had seemed ok, they were well fed and dry and in proven winter locations, but they had had to work in September to get a harvest and they were worn out.

However the heavy losses were not just a Scottish phenomenon. It was true in parts of Wales, many places in England too, including SE England. It was the same in France and Germany too. Demand for packages was so high that in the end we could only get about a third of what people wanted. It was not down to beekeeper proficiency in most cases (there were exceptions) just the bees were done in before winter even came along.

I NEVER have losses that, when looked at by mid April, are 10% or less. I will always have a percentage of that order with queen defects....either drone layers or queenless or superceders at an impossible time of year. To me these are losses. Two seams of bees or less? Its a dink and to be boosted or replaced. Maybe I have a harsh interpretation of what losses are, but from all causes (includes autumn re-unites too btw...still one down) I expect to see between 15 and 20% most seasons, often a bit more. What constitutes a winter loss is a movable feast. One mans 5% could easily be another mans 20%, so to make any sensible comparison you have to know what is being counted. Colonies killed by winter itself are a rarity. From the way I read it on here I could quite easily claim to have winter losses of 5% or maybe even less, but its self deception. The true losses, from all causes, and an empty hive is an empty hive and a non earner whatever the cause, will be more like 20%. Now say you want then filled up in one season then you have to do a lot of splits and for every one you need to fill you need to make about 1.25 splits (allows for failures). This means that by heather time your unit consists of 55% full colonies and 45% that are either split colonies or actual splits. If you look at it that way you can see where the economics for the beekeeper comes in. If the duds are filled with fresh stock the crop should normally be better.

The advice about not putting bees in till 20% flower is understandable but not actually much used in practice. Our unit down there is resident and still does the job. They only go away from the fruit farm to the heather and thus also out of the way of the picking staff, as they are in a dearth at that time unless there are copious levels of balsam about, and in consequence can be a little cranky when disturbed by machinery.

Where bees are *permitted* to come from is not in any way the decision of the BFA or any company importing them. This policy is decided at EU level. You can import from any member state (there are local exceptions in some states for clearly defined special objectives) and only have to give notice you are doing so and provide a proper health certificate. You can also import from third countries that meet EU and UK legislation regarding notifiable diseases, and the presence of them at source. At this time only Argentina and Western Australia fit into that category and for queens only. There is also New Zealand which, by dint of its health status and high level of supervision of the sector, has been granted 'EU equivalent' status. It is treated as per other third countries as regards certification and post import checks, but you can bring packages in from NZ only, which is not permitted from any other non EU country. Where they are actually sourced from is a matter for each importer, within the framework of the existing rules and the special restriction currently in place for Sicily and Calabria. The BFA has no role whatsoever in this, other than to report that there is no consensus among our members favouring any bans. Individuals yes, but also those equally vociferously opposed.

You can buy UK bees from anyone here. Once they have come into the UK and fulfilled import requirements a trader can sell them anywhere in the UK without further certification, indeed none required at all. Its the least regulated and safe source in Europe because there has normally been no official presale inspection whatsoever. In the EFB area there is a voluntary code in place about sales of nucs outwith the area (should have more teeth IMO) but the issue is that EFB is present in the rest of the UK at a higher rate than we now have in the infected area, yet the code does not permit us to sell into those areas, yet anywhere in the clear part of Scotland can buy from all of the UK except our area.........not quite logical. I agree about not moving potentially EFB colonies to...for example....Skye, but we should be able to move our bees as nucs or whatever to places where EFB already exists. Not an SHB issue per se, but its the same principle.........clear areas should not be at risk from actual infected areas.

Can you tell its a dreadfully dreich afternoon? Frame wiring and waxing holds little charm today.

Take your point about what counts as a lost colony C4u
    I am taking some mini nucs through winter so expect a lot of them (maybe all) will croak
    Also quite few (for me ) Paynes poly nucs
    Because I haven't tried much of that before it might not work
    On the Hive front Smiths I don't expect to lose many of them but it's a weird Winter so i wont temp fate
    There will be some queens in the mini nucs hopefully for any hive where the queen becomes a drone layer or some such issue
    I could probably double the number of hives I have every year but don't have the forage, the energy or the equipment to cope with that kind of thing

You are right the weather is foul, and I haven't done oxalic yet so am still on the right side of the law

This has been a strange thread
    Normally very vocal defenders of "local bees" and "British Black bees" etc have all gone very quiet
    Bring back Eric Mcarthur ?
    Meanwhile lets pretend its not happening, say nothing, and smile
    Until small hive beetle gets here

Happy new year

This has been a strange thread
    Normally very vocal defenders of "local bees" and "British Black bees" etc have all gone very quiet
    Bring back Eric Mcarthur ?
    Meanwhile lets pretend its not happening, say nothing, and smile
    Until small hive beetle gets here

Happy new year

Yes strange thread, capitulation maybe? The "ban imports" argument will seldom have more validity, and yet on they go.
    Sorry for your loss ITLD.
    I'd forgotten (or never realised) that you were the pollinating beekeeper involved in that program, though I'm aware you do bring in packages. Are there any stats around as to the comparative success or failure of packages as opposed to nucs in the UK?

Quote Originally Posted by Calluna4u View Post
    Where bees are *permitted* to come from is not in any way the decision of the BFA or any company importing them. This policy is decided at EU level. You can import from any member state (there are local exceptions in some states for clearly defined special objectives) and only have to give notice you are doing so and provide a proper health certificate.
    On the BKF there is a thread in which Goran (a contributor from Croatia) states he's not allowed to keep anything other than Carnis. Ditto in neighbouring Slovenia. I presume this is imposed under one of the clearly defined special objectives you talk about Calluna4u? If so, I wonder who made the decision? Presumably a national BKA and/or their bee farmers, and that membership of one or both are mandatory? I can't see us getting any such agreement here in the UK ... after all, there's disagreement about holes in crownboards and matches

For the record - and in response to mbc - I'd prefer we didn't have imports. I don't think competent and professional commercial operations are going to import SHB ... I think it's much more likely to arrive (and be missed) by an less competent amateur perhaps sourced from an under the counter import. However, I do think that cheap and readily available imports effectively reduces the necessity for proper training or bee husbandry. What proportion of BKA members know how and when to treat (and why and what with) for Varroa, prepare their colonies properly for winter or are self-sufficient for queens (because they rear their own)? I believe the latter figure is 10%, but am happy to be corrected on this. There's little need to properly learn these skills because lost colonies can be replaced for £100.

Michael Palmer has very successfully lectured on sustainable beekeeping ... we should try and practice it a bit more here (not necessarily his specific methods, simply the sustainable bit). Cheap, readily available imports negate the need to acquire proper beekeeping skills.

Sorry for your loss Calluna4u, welcome back and best wishes for the New Year.

Well, I'm too full of the cold to argue the case on imports, DR (much tho' I personally favour biosecurity & local adaptedness),
    so I'll just celebrate the thought that my bees are maybe earning their keep, rather than getting a free ride in a nice spot in an orchard (Thanks for that thought, Calluna4u, welcome back, and condolences.)

IMG_20150425_153304.jpg

The hives are resident in a walled garden orchard all year round. I see steady foraging on apple blossom in season, & we do get good apple crops - but then the place is heaven for freelance pollinators, as well, and we have plenty, including mason bees.
    The photo was on one of the cordon apple trees in the walled garden next door. Hoping to see plenty of the same in 2016 - wishing a good season to all.

Quote Originally Posted by Emma View Post
    The hives are resident in a walled garden orchard all year round.
    I'd have a chat with the farmer over the wall ... he's got 15 acres of OSR well within range

Hi C4u
    Just to cover some bits of your post

There is also no concensus in favour of an import ban. When you hold the vote at an open meeting folk feel they have to put their hands up for it so as not to attract the attention of the more vociferous members against imports, and then quietly order their bees behind the scenes.
    This makes for interesting conflicts between utopia and reality.

I have never found myself persuaded until now that import controls are needed
    It's clear from reading the thread though that you are not concerned by small hive beetle
    Also that you are not concerned by other beekeepers opinions
    Therefor the only way they can influence you is by campaigning for control to be imposed

[I]Most traded nucs come from the parts of the UK where imports are not considered to be a major issue, and indeed are often derived or even sometime made up, from the very imported packages you seek to deny access to. Then the local beek has done the right thing by UK sourcing, all are happy, yet there is no material difference in the stock you get. Only difference is that the trail is lost to the inspectors in many cases and the beek has paid nearly three times as much as they should have for the same bees. (I told you all there was a large 'common good' component in what I do.) You can get the whole package from me with northern adapted bees and queens for 88 quid, but feel it better to buy the same bees divided into two nucs, built up to cover 5 bars, then pay 150 quid... or significantly more (have seen 280 each)....... each for the two halves but have a clear conscience that you sourced in the UK? You also then get bees with no health certificate except a vendor provided one.

[/I
    ]

I wouldn't regard £88 for a package of Italian bees as a good buy myself
    An overwintered nuc in a Paynes Poly hive for £150 looks good by comparison
    £32 for Nuc £20 for the frames and wax and then you £88 for bees makes £140
    So £10 extra for a colony with its own overwintered queen drawn combs etc looks good to me

I have also never said that you can buy in a queen from abroad, put it in a nuc or split, then have a full strength colony for the OSR. This is just impossible. The crop is now often over three weeks earlier than it was 30 years ago and is too early for many colonies, even overwintered ones, to get a crop. Thus we now regard OSR as mostly a build up crop rather than an major honey source. Nice when you get it but the build up is what we seek more than anything else.

Thats true here's what you did say in 2013 about queens imported from New Zealand
    Good sales pitch convinced the inteviewer but not yourself it seems

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4k...ew?usp=sharing

Who mentioned global starvation?? Is that not a bit hyperbolic?

Yes it is a bit
    That was SDM I think he may have started drinking early for New Year
    Last edited by The Drone Ranger; 02-01-2016 at 06:14 PM.

I wouldn't regard £88 for a package of Italian bees as a good buy myself
    An overwintered nuc in a Paynes Poly hive for £150 looks good by comparison
    £32 for Nuc £20 for the frames and wax and then you £88 for bees makes £140
    So £10 extra for a colony with its own overwintered queen drawn combs etc looks good to me
    Interesting costings.....
    1. If they are in a Paynes nuc its usually returnable against a deposit on top of the cost....but even at that I only take 20 quid.
    2. Frames cost me 80p assembled and prewired and a sheet of wax about 20p......add some labour and the cost of the frames and wax for all 6 frames is still only well south of 9 quid.
    3. You are only getting HALF a package for that money. May have had an extra queen added. or may have had the one with the package.
    4. Will have been fed (2.50) and (hopefully, depending on how 'natural' you want them to be) treated for varroa, so you can save the 15p for an OA treatment or the 1.60 for Biowar.

88 pounds buys a 1.5Kg package (7 to 8 frames in a BS deep), with one new seasons queen. 17 quid extra for a second queen (imported Buckfast) or 30 for one of our home bred ones (struggle to give any May deliveries on prearranged dates for homebred).

So take off our costs from the 150 quid (we are 140 for overwintered with home bred queen btw, minimum order 10, and to associations preferably, as we just don't have time for endless talking to clients for one at a time) you arrive at in the region of 135 pounds. Doing as the other folks do you pend 105 pounds, (1pkg plus spare q) and set up much the same thing for 52.50 plus a fiver for feeding...so 57.50. The difference is a lot more than 10 quid.

At 150 quid for local overwintered I can see how you can rate these higher.......but I do both, and it aint as rosy as you would think. The overwintered ones require a lot more hands on care over the season, as they are last years queens and are considerably more ready to swarm. Against that one of my clients bought nucs from me last spring, overwintered with Jolantas queens in them and ended up at the end of the season with 2.5 times the number he bought. If you are not after honey and just want the bees than the overwintered nuc, split as it comes to strength, can be the way to go.

However, many of these traded nucs are not exactly what the purchaser thinks.........you are often buying recently imported package bees, although later on you can be getting Yorkshire bees shaken at the end of the OSR, with a queen (unrelated) added, to establish the packages. The next good question is where the Yorkshire bees originated from............one of the main recipient counties for imported queens. ( Many bees are shaken from colonies established from packages, or more likely with queens, I supplied in the season before, from Italy, to make up these home produced nucs.......this is not just twaddle, I KNOW this.)

The viability for the beekeeper is another matter too. I know you personally have very very low loss rates compared to many, but the basic rule of thumb is that for every 3 nucs set up you expect two to make it....albeit a number of those will be very small and require a lot of boosting. The lost ones have a cost attached to them in time and feeding that is generally totally ignored in amateur circles. However if you ever seriously want there to be a domestic production on nucs etc to meet demand it has to be done by the professionals who can supply numbers that a highly fragmented and polarised amateur sector can never hope to do. Inquiries (only about 20% thus far are solid orders) for packages thus far for spring 2016 runs at about 10,000...and the peak of inquiries is usually March. There are other traders too.

I would expect, from past performance, that the demand is going to be very high this spring (paralysis virus is bad in some parts of northern England the last two seasons and some have been almost wiped out), and across all traders I would not be surprised if requirements (which will be a lot more than can actually be met due to limited availability at source) will be in the vicinity of 25000. Demand from northern Europe and the UK for spring 2016 packages and queens is described by the northern Italian producers as exceptionally high and most have now already totally sold out for the season and taking no more bookings. Would now be surprised if any more than say 4500 *Italian* packages make it over in the end due to lack of supply.

Seriously suggesting that a ban on imports and an education programme followed or simultaneous with and expansion of nuc production in the amateur sector is going to meet that demand.....AND for it to be at a viable rate?

The divergent agendas of the anti import side of things raises its head at this point between those that would have the UK go back to and Amm reserve... and those who just want the border closed .... come to a head a bit at this point. There is no way I want to live and work (indeed could not) in what would effectively be a bee museum.
    Most clients are more interested in the price rather than the origin. Offer imported queens at 17 pounds and home bred at 28.50 (2015 rates) the imported outsold the home bred by 10 to 1.

The interviewer in the clip was Phil Chandler, who was at the time one of the most vehement anti import advocates and natural beekeeping guru, and it is older than 2013. That he came, saw, listened, and drew his own conclusions was very refreshing. Nowhere in it do I state that we can put queens in a split and have it ready as a full colony on OSR. The bees themselves are lovely and nowhere in that clip do I say anything I do not stand by. However, with the changes in exchange rate NZ stock has become very expensive, and there are major issues with the shipping. By mail is not allowed, only airfreight, and this means the basic minimum viable order ended up being about 300. The 2014 import from New Zealand was very unsatisfactory, seems it was chilled badly in flight. After the much earlier issues mentioned in the interview all shipment carried a temperature logger and it could be seen that instead of the steady 15C they were meant to be carried at they had had two major dips to 1C and in between there was a spike to 55C...all in the course of two hours...not good. Again as touched on, some of the good NZ stock is now incorporated in our own programme here and they are still very similar in performance. One issue, which I think I mentioned to you before, was the discovery that the commercial breeder we were using was working with a very small number of bought in breeder queens, and that it meant too many of the colonies were too closely related, and first crosses (only between the NZ bees and nothing else) sometimes showed a very poor brood pattern and lack of performance. We have taken care of that problem in house, but will not return to NZ as a source of commercial queens (maybe buy the odd breeder queen) until the shipping and breeding issues are sorted out.

You suggest I don't care about the opinions of others. Well I am here engaging with you am I not? I am past chairman of the BFA and am well used to representing the opinions of a board or membership even if it runs contrary to my own opinion. Coming to places like this, and the Beekeeping forum too where my handle speaks for itself, is to come to a place where you KNOW you are going to take heat on this issue and I feel it is important to engage with it to correct and rebut misinformation, given for a host of reasons the poster may have (especially if it is just that they have been misinformed). If I did not care I would just keep my head down and get on with it. I would also, given my lack of concern about SHB in particular, be a lot less careful about the processes and precautions attached to the way I do the packages work. On forums you tend to encounter those with the strongest opinions on the issue, and out there in general beekeeping world the opinions are far less polarised, and there really does seem to be no concensus about banning imports, but reading any of the forum sections on the subject you would get the idea it was near universal opposition. This is just not true. This is a plce where largely like minded people meet. To extrapolate that out to being the opinion of the majority is not possible......and you would be surprised at how many forum members have provisionally booked packages for spring, albeit in relatively small amounts.

We are on a twin track for our own unit. In most years I expect Jolanta to produce all we need and a healthy surplus of nucs and queens, all bred in Perthshire and well outcrossed for vigour, but I am not living in a dream world on that. Some years there will be a severe deficit. Imports will be needed. They can be done in a safe manner. Cut off that and you will go back to shipments coming in from Europe in the back of fridge vans and queen consignments unlogged in the post or the boots of cars. Or would you prefer the shortages that can arise and take a long time to rectify. How do people make a living if they have a curtailed harvest of what today is a marginal product? ( Go back 40 years and index link bulk Scottish honey prices forward.......Blossom should be 3.60/lb and Heather 5.80/lb, instead of the 2.30 and 3.30 it actually is today....so its increasingly hard to make a living at it even if we WERE in average seasons which we are not....5 of the last 6 have been below long term average... adjusting for variables like poly hives).

I don't understand what you say about import controls. There ARE import controls and so there should be! This is no unregulated free for all and we at least comply with all requirements and liase with the NBU and Scottish Govt team at all times, and carry the official health certificates and transport documents with us. There is probably a lot of misunderstanding about just how thorough the process is.

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    On the BKF there is a thread in which Goran (a contributor from Croatia) states he's not allowed to keep anything other than Carnis. Ditto in neighbouring Slovenia. I presume this is imposed under one of the clearly defined special objectives you talk about Calluna4u? If so, I wonder who made the decision? Presumably a national BKA and/or their bee farmers, and that membership of one or both are mandatory? I can't see us getting any such agreement here in the UK ... after all, there's disagreement about holes in crownboards and matches
    Not quite sure how it operates, but of course we already have one such area in Scotland, the Colonsay project which you have recently been associated with.

However....I do know that you MUST prove that you are in an area of exceptional genetic importance and purity to get this through, and that there must be no bees not compliant with the decided upon type in the area, and any that are not must be or should be eradicated or removed. That something bad would happen to this pure bred stock from incoming racially different types must also be demonstrated. That's there is a concensus in favour of such a move. That it is feasible.

In the UK, apart from tiny pockets I would suggest it will not/could not happen. Many UK beeks would not have bees at all if it were not for imported stock and UK bred bees ultimately derived from imported stock. Even a fair amount of the Amm. It would require an utterly massive eradication programme of most of the UK bee stock.

I do correspond with Goran from time to time, but it seems Croatia is more riven with factionalisation and discord than here in the UK and I don't know how strict their carnica only policy is or if it is just a voluntary thing. I hear of cases of non carnic bees going into areas where others would rather they didn't, but its always unclear how much is to do with the breeding or just plain beekeeper territorialism. Slovenia is treated as a special case, being regarded (at last internally) as the home of the carnica bee, and has some degree of protected status.