Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Super for a nuc ..... Yes or No

Default Super for a nuc ..... Yes or No

I have made a 14x12 6 frame nuc ready for next season.

My question is, should I make a super for it or would it be a waste of time ?
    image.jpg

Thanks

Drdoug

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

That's a nice nucleus, Doug. My opinion: a second brood box (like the Paynes poly nucleuses or Modern Beekeeping's Beebox Langstroth nucleuses) is a good idea and will give you flexibility to expand the colony, particularly when you're short of full-size hives - but no, I don't think you should bother with shallows. I think it's better to concentrate on getting the colony stronger, rather than asking them to collect honey.
    Kitta

PS - I assume that you meant shallows when you said 'supers'?

Yes by super I mean a shallow box.

I agree with you but think I might just make some more nucs to use for build up prior to transfer to my full size poly hives.

A shallow can be a handy thing if you're looking for increase and planning to overwinter the nuclei. A nucleus which goes through the winter with a shallow on top, that the queen has free access to, will have brood in both boxes before a double 14x12 does simply because she'll want to lay at the top but the shallow won't be deep enough to contain her.

Used the principle on and off for quite a while now, just needs some off the wall thinking.

Another thing, if it was me I'd be considering using commercial shallows (16x6) rather than those silly bs ones but that's just my own personal preference.

I would make the entrance near the bottom, so they can easier remove dead bees, ect.

I have a bunch of 5 frame nucs and did make a super a few years back. Haven't used it for a few years. The last time I used it was when I put it under the 5 frames of brood for winter stores. So in my experience it's not likely to be used. OK for a feeder eke though. I agree with the entrance at the bottom.

I have a few 5 frame supers. They've been most used on their sides with my honey bucket tipper on when jarring honey. I suspect you'd get as much or more use from an eke - as Adam says, for feeding etc - and devote some effort to making a few more nucs which you can rarely have too many of.

Thanks for the replies.

I will concentrate on making more nucs, maybe with the entrance at the bottom. Wanted one nuc to us a entrance disc on .

Drdoug

Blog Entries

Paynes recently brought out a super and a brood extension for their polynuc.
    I think both of these will prove very useful in certain circumstances, ie good way to add a bit of temporary space and delay any thoughts of swarming before the contents get transferred to a full size box.

poly-nuc-extension.jpg

Agree with Jon re the adding of temporary space -an efficient way to stop a nuc from getting blocked up with nectar -keep the nest open for laying. I see that Maisemore have gone a step further with their poly nucs and included a made to measure queen excluder in the parts list.

I certainly wouldn't dismiss an idea without trying it for myself; worst case scenario is that you end up with a shallow mating nuc; rarely any need to have well made boxes sidelined for years on end.
    Last edited by prakel; 12-12-2015 at 01:23 PM.