Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Varroa estimations during winter.

Profits must be low if they can't get a website hosting company that doesn't have a popup on every page carrying adverts!
    And related ... I emailed Arnia for some specifics recently and didn't get a reply. Perhaps their batteries have run out?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wmfd View Post
    They seem to be making progress (in conjunction with the bee farmers etc)

http://www.swarmonitor.com/

David
    Three steps forward, three steps back ....

Experiments for acquisition of the diagnostic information found in vibrational signal.

The 20 hives set up at INRA are also being continuously monitored for health conditions including Varroa destructor infestation (using the icing sugar method), the presence of chalkbrood (Ascosphaera apis) and Nosema ceranae.
    In addition regular estimates of the number of bees and amount of brood are being made. Vibration data has been collected for more than 100 days in the form of averaged spectra from the accelerometers.
    Principal component analysis (PCA) has been applied to these data and a high level of similarity has been obtained from hive to hive for the healthy colonies.
    All but one of the colonies at INRA were lost over the winter of 2013/2014, however, this has provided valuable data showing how the vibrational signals change as a colony is lost.
    All colonies that had been lost over the winter were repopulated in advance of the 2014 swarming season.

19/20 hives lost overwinter. Blimey. I wonder how the vibrational signal changes when the colony is 'lost' ...
    flatline.jpg
    Yep. They're dead.

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    19/20 hives lost overwinter. Blimey. I wonder how the vibrational signal changes when the colony is 'lost' ...
    flatline.jpg
    Yep. They're dead.
    That is crap beekeeping at its best an almost total wipe out

Wonder how you apply an accelerometer without being swamped by movements and vibration from wind rain etc
    You could easily tell if the hive had been blown over or moved though so thats one element of neglect they had covered

Before they started electronic monitoring they should have taken the Honeybadger Basic Beekeeping course

Peterborough, and into the flatlands to the north and east ...

Ok, maybe I overstated progress! I thought I had read they'd identified common factors in swarming colonies but that may have been wishful thinking and a too quick skim.

19/20 is pretty horrendous and now the swarm monitor website seems to have disappeared, another winter loss ...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wmfd View Post
    Ok, maybe I overstated progress! I thought I had read they'd identified common factors in swarming colonies but that may have been wishful thinking and a too quick skim.

now the swarm monitor website seems to have disappeared, another winter loss ...
    Thats very funny.

Blog Entries

I presume that this is just coincidence, the site disappearing as folk here took an interest. Who knows. Anyway, there is more on this project (which came to an end just over a month ago) here. The 19/20 loss was downplayed to 'a number' lost overwinter. Perhaps they've just proved that hive monitors cause CCD?

http://cordis.europa.eu/result/rcn/149698_en.html

First apologies to anyone who is bored by computing heres a little link for you
    Its Coldplay ripping off Kraftwerk and getting away with it
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FhIG8gwJZ8

For those folk who fancy a bit of DIY hive monitoring

You could leave this in the hive and just plug in for a look when you wanted

If you want to listen and the hive isn't too far away you could make one of these

only in rural areas though or the neighbours and the law might visit
    Last edited by The Drone Ranger; 09-12-2015 at 05:54 PM.

had a duff link heres Kraftwerk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    If you want to listen and the hive isn't too far away you could make one of these
    Any suggestions for a booster so that I can listen in to the mating site 50-60km away?

Enjoying the tech talk. All very relevant to some ideas under discussion on getting our mating site monitored better - perhaps even with a weather station.