Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Varroa estimations during winter.

Blog Entries

Great another project for me. tks

According to Norman Carrick there isn't enough money around in bee research at the moment
    I am too lazy to do much about it but there are probably a lot of projects that could benefit from crowd funding
    One might be to ask all UK beekeepers for a single drone from each of their hives
    That could provide a map of queen genetic markers or other interesting population data
    Perhaps researchers could map changes in the bee populations over a longer period

Just like "Field of Dreams" If you build it they will come
    It's funny how a big pile of biological material waiting to be analysed attracts scientists and researchers

Pie in the Sky possibly ?
    Here's an interesting one in space never mind the Sky
    http://www.thecrowdfundnetwork.com/n...ellite-rescue/

Hi Greengage
    Check this one It might be modified to suit your monitoring
    Arduino clones are about £1.50 each eBay China
    The solar panel a couple of pounds more than that
    http://www.instructables.com/id/SOLA...ATHER-STATION/

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    When that £5.00 Pi is released it might be worth a go
    Everywhere has already sold out ... and it's only £4. Extraordinary. 1GHz 512Mb RAM ... my first 80386 PC was less powerful than that and it cost hundreds. It was also about 3 cubic feet. However, that was in 1948.

For those interested in hive monitoring it should be possible to hook it up to a Sleepy Pi Arduino controller to put the Pi to sleep in between monitoring and so allow it to be run off a battery for very long periods. This could be an interesting winter project ... and a lot cheaper than the Arnia £££ quoted by Jon.

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    Everywhere has already sold out ... and it's only £4. Extraordinary. 1GHz 512Mb RAM ... my first 80386 PC was less powerful than that and it cost hundreds. It was also about 3 cubic feet. However, that was in 1948.

For those interested in hive monitoring it should be possible to hook it up to a Sleepy Pi Arduino controller to put the Pi to sleep in between monitoring and so allow it to be run off a battery for very long periods. This could be an interesting winter project ... and a lot cheaper than the Arnia £££ quoted by Jon.
    Hi fatshark
    Just posted a project link along those lines for arduino
    Coincidence

Fools seldom differ

PS What little I know about Arduino suggests it would probably be the way to go ... I'm just a lot more comfortable with Linux/Python etc. I also have power in one of my apiaries

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    Fools seldom differ

PS What little I know about Arduino suggests it would probably be the way to go ... I'm just a lot more comfortable with Linux/Python etc. I also have power in one of my apiaries
    On Ebay 50,000mAh power bank is a about £11 which would run the project above for a long time
    The advantage of those is the output is 5V already

If I remember correctly Arnia did a pilot project with Scottish beekeepers a number of years ago who were given their monitors for free
    There was a guy from Arnia who did a presentation at an SBA meeting
    From my recollection it was hive sounds that were the most interesting results as it could be used to predict when the hive was about to swarm
    Have heard nothing since. Perhaps some SBA member who got the equipment might know more

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

was talking to the aria chap at greenmount conference and yes there is a sound measuring device for swarming based on the woods apidictor, as was said earlier, the stuff is wild expensive and for the hobby beek it would take many years to recover the cost - if ever !

Best if some clever chap could programme a PIC18 for hive weight and theft control as i think this is really all one needs

Peterborough, and into the flatlands to the north and east ...

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    If I remember correctly Arnia did a pilot project with Scottish beekeepers a number of years ago who were given their monitors for free
    There was a guy from Arnia who did a presentation at an SBA meeting
    From my recollection it was hive sounds that were the most interesting results as it could be used to predict when the hive was about to swarm
    Have heard nothing since. Perhaps some SBA member who got the equipment might know more

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    They seem to be making progress (in conjunction with the bee farmers etc)

http://www.swarmonitor.com/

David