Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 74

Thread: Varroa estimations during winter.

  1. #21
    Senior Member Greengage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    513
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default

    Great another project for me. tks

  2. #22

    Default

    According to Norman Carrick there isn't enough money around in bee research at the moment
    I am too lazy to do much about it but there are probably a lot of projects that could benefit from crowd funding
    One might be to ask all UK beekeepers for a single drone from each of their hives
    That could provide a map of queen genetic markers or other interesting population data
    Perhaps researchers could map changes in the bee populations over a longer period

    Just like "Field of Dreams" If you build it they will come
    It's funny how a big pile of biological material waiting to be analysed attracts scientists and researchers

    Pie in the Sky possibly ?
    Here's an interesting one in space never mind the Sky
    http://www.thecrowdfundnetwork.com/n...ellite-rescue/

  3. #23

    Default

    Hi Greengage
    Check this one It might be modified to suit your monitoring
    Arduino clones are about 1.50 each eBay China
    The solar panel a couple of pounds more than that
    http://www.instructables.com/id/SOLA...ATHER-STATION/

  4. #24
    Senior Member fatshark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Finest Fife
    Posts
    1,488

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    When that 5.00 Pi is released it might be worth a go
    Everywhere has already sold out ... and it's only 4. Extraordinary. 1GHz 512Mb RAM ... my first 80386 PC was less powerful than that and it cost hundreds. It was also about 3 cubic feet. However, that was in 1948.

    For those interested in hive monitoring it should be possible to hook it up to a Sleepy Pi Arduino controller to put the Pi to sleep in between monitoring and so allow it to be run off a battery for very long periods. This could be an interesting winter project ... and a lot cheaper than the Arnia quoted by Jon.

  5. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    Everywhere has already sold out ... and it's only 4. Extraordinary. 1GHz 512Mb RAM ... my first 80386 PC was less powerful than that and it cost hundreds. It was also about 3 cubic feet. However, that was in 1948.

    For those interested in hive monitoring it should be possible to hook it up to a Sleepy Pi Arduino controller to put the Pi to sleep in between monitoring and so allow it to be run off a battery for very long periods. This could be an interesting winter project ... and a lot cheaper than the Arnia quoted by Jon.
    Hi fatshark
    Just posted a project link along those lines for arduino
    Coincidence

  6. #26
    Senior Member fatshark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Finest Fife
    Posts
    1,488

    Default

    Fools seldom differ

    PS What little I know about Arduino suggests it would probably be the way to go ... I'm just a lot more comfortable with Linux/Python etc. I also have power in one of my apiaries

  7. #27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    Fools seldom differ

    PS What little I know about Arduino suggests it would probably be the way to go ... I'm just a lot more comfortable with Linux/Python etc. I also have power in one of my apiaries
    On Ebay 50,000mAh power bank is a about 11 which would run the project above for a long time
    The advantage of those is the output is 5V already

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Rosneath Peninsula Helensburgh
    Posts
    691

    Default

    If I remember correctly Arnia did a pilot project with Scottish beekeepers a number of years ago who were given their monitors for free
    There was a guy from Arnia who did a presentation at an SBA meeting
    From my recollection it was hive sounds that were the most interesting results as it could be used to predict when the hive was about to swarm
    Have heard nothing since. Perhaps some SBA member who got the equipment might know more


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  9. #29
    Senior Member busybeephilip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Comber, N. Ireland
    Posts
    565
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    was talking to the aria chap at greenmount conference and yes there is a sound measuring device for swarming based on the woods apidictor, as was said earlier, the stuff is wild expensive and for the hobby beek it would take many years to recover the cost - if ever !

    Best if some clever chap could programme a PIC18 for hive weight and theft control as i think this is really all one needs

  10. #30
    Member Wmfd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Peterborough, and into the flatlands to the north and east ...
    Posts
    88

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    If I remember correctly Arnia did a pilot project with Scottish beekeepers a number of years ago who were given their monitors for free
    There was a guy from Arnia who did a presentation at an SBA meeting
    From my recollection it was hive sounds that were the most interesting results as it could be used to predict when the hive was about to swarm
    Have heard nothing since. Perhaps some SBA member who got the equipment might know more


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    They seem to be making progress (in conjunction with the bee farmers etc)

    http://www.swarmonitor.com/

    David

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •