Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Black Friday Bee Equip Sales

Actually Bridget "cheap" is a relative term. I am changing my winter procedure - see my post on "todays news" where I'm only going to bleach my frame tops !!! I can't be expected to control spillages down the sides of the frames.

BeeBase says

"The Veterinary Medicines Regulations sets out legal text on the manufacture, authorisation, marketing, distribution and post-authorisation surveillance of veterinary medicines. Honey bees are classed as a food producing animal and therefore beekeepers must comply with these regulations. Generic substances such as Oxalic acid or self-made thymol solutions should not be used and beekeepers are liable for prosecution if traces are found during routine honey sampling. It is important to note that some products available on beekeeping manufacturers’ websites are not registered medicinal products and although available, should not be administered to a colony."

Ok so far I'm not sure but I would guess sampling might only show you use biomoneybag oxalic or Api life var

So heres the difficult part

When a veterinary medicinal product is bought beekeepers must, at the time, record:

(a) The name of the product and the batch number;

(b) The date of acquisition;

(c) The quantity acquired; and

(d) The name and address of the supplier.

Tea and biscuits with "The Men from the Ministry " (if anyone remembers that old BBC radio series) always brings forth chaos

Most years I would really love to have some honey to sample but its a rare commodity and gets munched pretty quickly
    Last edited by The Drone Ranger; 26-11-2015 at 01:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    Actually Grizzly, for the hobby beekeeper with less than 10 hives it's an easy cheap product.
    It's by far and away the cheapest (least expensive) approved treatment available. Probably only ~20% the cost of any others, and substantially less than MAQS. Worth noting that pretty much all of the treatments, when used as directed, are very similar in their efficacy.

I have conflicting views about the product ... if it was really a new product and we'd not been buying generic OA for 1-2p/gram forever we'd be rejoicing there was an alternative, effective and inexpensive product to use instead of Apiguard, Apistan and MAQS ...

There are some issues with the concentrations/usage recommendations. It states 4.2% on the paperwork, but we generally use 3.2% for dribbling. It additionally states 2.3g for vaporisation whereas there's good evidence that 1.4g is equally effective. So a 35g sachet will probably go further still, and be cheaper still.

But a lot more than £8 for 500g which was what Thorne's used to charge for generic oxalic acid.

Am I right that O.A. occurs naturally in raw honey ? - if so how would the ministry detect non - Italian O.A. from a normal sample of honey ?

You're right ... what's more, there's data out there (Danish publication) to suggest that after trickling or spraying there's no significant difference in the level of OA detectable in treated vs. untreated colonies. levels in the hive were significantly less than in spinach ...

They might not be able to detect the OA but what about the 11% of Api-Bioxal that isn't OA. Perhaps it's a fluorescent radioactive tracer allowing simple verification of whether you used the commercial product?

I should add for clarification that the final sentence was a cynical joke

Quote Originally Posted by GRIZZLY View Post
    Am I right that O.A. occurs naturally in raw honey ? - if so how would the ministry detect non - Italian O.A. from a normal sample of honey ?
    Perhaps just say

Quote Originally Posted by Black Comb View Post
    Does this make my varrox an illegal instrument?
    No Black Comb Thornes says it can be used in varrox
    If it has sugar in that might be a chance to make a toffee apple at the same time

On the edge of a mature pine forest, Kingussie, Inverness-shire

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post

I have conflicting views about the product ... if it was really a new product and we'd not been buying generic OA for 1-2p/gram forever we'd be rejoicing there was an alternative, effective and inexpensive product to use instead of Apiguard, Apistan and MAQS ...

There are some issues with the concentrations/usage recommendations. It states 4.2% on the paperwork, but we generally use 3.2% for dribbling. It additionally states 2.3g for vaporisation whereas there's good evidence that 1.4g is equally effective. So a 35g sachet will probably go further still, and be cheaper still.
    Thanks Fatshark for that info. I'll probably let it down a wee bit then.
    Those pesky varroa strips coming off today and it blowing a hoolie already. Thank goodness for the bee house. I think I'm going to take on Grizzy's suggestion on another post and get some fondant on while we are about it as there were bees buzzing around yesterday (one even in the bedroom which I had to vacate pretty swiftly being as I'm not allowed near them anymore) and with all this flying about in November they may be getting light. Might as well do it now and not disturb them again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Paynes have 10% of everything today by using a code at checkout (blackfriday)