Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The Biology of Mating by Juliana Rangel (NHS lecture).

I don't think that theory holds water

Sent from my LIFETAB_S1034X using Tapatalk

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Which theory is that, DR? Jürgen Tautz's suggestion that workers accompanying the queen might chase away undesirable drones? Perhaps it doesn't hold water. I don't think he is too sure about that either - just a possibility based on his observation of the workers' behaviour when the queen is placed outside the hive.

Or do you also doubt that the virgin queen is accompanied by a small entourage of workers? (He suggests about 20 workers, depending on the size of the colony.) Or is that a well-known fact? Jon might know.

I did not understand what you meant in your previous post regarding drones accompanying the queen - so I've been pondering about that (but perhaps I should make time now to watch the video!).

Kitta

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mellifera Crofter View Post
    Jon might know.
    What I have seen involves several hundred workers with the queen.
    I think there is a great deal still to find out about queen mating.
    Those rfid transmitters will form the basis of some interesting experiments re queen mating in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Mellifera Crofter View Post
    Or do you also doubt that the virgin queen is accompanied by a small entourage of workers? (He suggests about 20 workers, depending on the size of the colony.) Or is that a well-known fact? Jon might know.

I did not understand what you meant in your previous post regarding drones accompanying the queen - so I've been pondering about that (but perhaps I should make time now to watch the video!).

Kitta
    Hi Kitta

No I'm pretty sure that Tautz is on to something there
    There is always a big fuss when queens pop out for flights

I was only just stretching the point to say that the queen might leave home with an entourage of burly brothers who would act as chaperones
    Just a flight of fancy

The things that puzzle me are mainly
    Why do queens not mate in fly lanes on the way to DCA's (or do they)
    How can there be a mechanism for her to mate with selected drones
    Some experts claim mating maximises out crossing others say that Amm select Amm mates
    Does Apiary Vicinity Mating exist and does it defy a fundamental mating principle of the honey bee
    Can claims of pure mating for Amm in hybridised areas be correct
    If there is a mate selection process why would operate differently for Amm and not be universal

Sorry for introducing confusion to your valuable information from Jurgen Tautz which was genuinely news to me
    Apologies
    DR

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    What I have seen involves several hundred workers with the queen. ...
    Thanks Jon - with such a huge entourage the workers may well be able to protect the queen from undesirable drones.

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    ...I was only just stretching the point to say that the queen might leave home with an entourage of burly brothers who would act as chaperones
    Just a flight of fancy ...
    Oh! I like flights of fancy. The image is now firmly lodged in my brain.

Kitta

Hi Kitta
    The video basically says drones go to the nearest DCA and stay as long as possible
    Queens stay out far shorter time but don't go to the nearest DCA
    Probably this gives the most chance of unrelated drones and avoids inbreeding

Sent from my LIFETAB_S1034X using Tapatalk

Thanks DR! The summing-up is helpful - but I will make time to watch it as well.
    Kitta

Peterborough, and into the flatlands to the north and east ...

Thanks for this, well worth a watch - absolutely fascinating, and amazing how long research has been going on.

Interesting that they don't really know what happens in flat areas - given they don't seem to have DCA's but queens still get mated!

David

Quote Originally Posted by Wmfd View Post
    Thanks for this, well worth a watch - absolutely fascinating, and amazing how long research has been going on.

Interesting that they don't really know what happens in flat areas - given they don't seem to have DCA's but queens still get mated!

David
    Hi Wmfd
    Check this out if you have 50 min to spare (about varroa)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fE4emUMyOWs

Quote Originally Posted by Wmfd View Post

David
    Yes Wmfd that is a bit of a puzzle
    About 20 mins into this video the professor talks about flat areas and also what weather conditions would be helpful in finding possible drone congregation areas
    She also says a simple check is throwing stones into the air the drones follow them
    Anything with a pulse (or even without one) it would seem