Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Biology of Mating by Juliana Rangel (NHS lecture).

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default The Biology of Mating by Juliana Rangel (NHS lecture).

Anothe great video lecture from the National Honey Show, this time it's 'The Biology of Mating' by Juliana Rangel.

https://youtu.be/tLHcle6CKcg

A good reference which touches on many points which are regularly discussed on this forum.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by prakel View Post
    A good reference which touches on many points which are regularly discussed on this forum.
    Yes, a nice presentation. One topic we've discussed which she touched on was the conditions for mating flights. I was a little surprised to see her view on the environmental conditions for mating flights:

- temp >75F (ie 23.9C)
    - sunny or partially blue sky
    - little wind (<10mph)

Maybe these American bees are spoiled.

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    Yes, a nice presentation. One topic we've discussed which she touched on was the conditions for mating flights. I was a little surprised to see her view on the environmental conditions for mating flights:

- temp >75F (ie 23.9C)
    - sunny or partially blue sky
    - little wind (<10mph)

Maybe these American bees are spoiled.
    I would never have mated any queens this year with those temperature limits...

I wonder whether the screen shot should actually have said 65f rather than 75?

edit: This paper discusses temperature too:

Observation of the Mating Behavior of Honey Bee (Apis mellifera L.) Queens Using Radio-Frequency Identification (RFID): Factors Influencing the Duration and Frequency of Nuptial Flights

http://www.mdpi.com/2075-4450/5/3/513/pdf
    Last edited by prakel; 22-11-2015 at 09:39 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by prakel View Post
    I wonder whether the screen shot should actually have said 65f rather than 75?
    Could be. Every link you post is interesting and relevant. However this one (to the Heidinger paper) is fantastic, thanks.

Hi Jon
    There are enough good features of well bred Amm to make them attractive without the more dubious claims
    Some strains will be way better than others and that's the case for all the types of honey bee

Sent from my LIFETAB_S1034X using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    Hi Jon
    There are enough good features of well bred Amm to make them attractive without the more dubious claims
    Exactly.

Hi Gavin
    This study of mating seems to be saying there are plenty drones everywhere even in low density areas
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4361586/
    Lots of mating with different drones
    If queens somehow mate with drones not from their own apiary that mechanism doesn't seem well understood
    So if you bought in 10 queens from different sources and they were in the same apiary then they are unrelated in pheromones or whatever
    However if its a distance method of differentiation all your drones will still be flying in different locations from your virgin queens

I am not clear on which might be the best method but it would seem to be have all the local beekeepers with one bee type AND for all those beekeepers to have unrelated strains

Open mating favour hybridisation that's why almost every bee we have is a hybrid

Sent from my LIFETAB_S1034X using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Don't forget that study which suggested that there may be a mechanism which favours within subspecies crossing

Partial reproductive isolation between European subspecies of honey bees
    Andrzej Oleksa, Jerzy Wilde, Adam Tofilski, Igor J. Chybicki

Northern Poland is inhabited by native Apis mellifera mellifera (AMM) and the non-native A. m. carnica (AMC) which was introduced by beekeepers. However, hybrids between the two subspecies of honey bee are relatively rare.