Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: The Biology of Mating by Juliana Rangel (NHS lecture).

Blog Entries

Cracking talk, that one. Look out for stones falling out of the air all round the Ochil hills next year.

All sorts of snippets - drones heading out to the lowest point on the horizon and so missing some nearby DCAs; no workers accompanying drones (and queens presumably) at DCAs. They don't catch 'em in their traps. One of the best husband-wife squabbles is described in there (23 min). 240 colonies contribute drones to a single DCA in their environment.

I knew a surprising number of the people there. The first questioner was the very same Chris Slade mentioned yesterday.

Brilliant to get to see these talks. Also to be able to skip over the basic stuff at the beginning, and go back and hear some bits for a second time.

I'm sitting here reading that book that wasn't quite published when she gave the lecture.

Hi Gavin
    I think it was £31 on Amazon but £25 on Northern Bee Books

Sent from my LIFETAB_S1034X using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Something like that. The one I was sent was slighty bashed in a way that didn't happen while inside the padded envelope, but as I really need to read the book I decided not to send it back. Presumably that copy protected the nicer ones underneath for you lot.

Peterborough, and into the flatlands to the north and east ...

Thanks Drone Ranger, I had a day off work on Monday and whilst ironing (yes, the rock and roll lifestyle) indulged in this one, the latest one on honey marketing and also Norman Carreck talking about the thinking beekeeper.

Very interesting how the mites take up the scent of the bees to hide themselves, even whilst dead!

Clearly it's good enough to make them a problem, but I wonder how effective it really is, and whether there are ways to either help the bees shift the odds?

Next summer's fun, wandering around throwing stones in the air!

David

Or buy one of those Drone remote controlled camera things
    http://cpc.farnell.com/radio-control...es-quadcopters

Peterborough, and into the flatlands to the north and east ...

They look like fun, pop a lure on one and trail it around. The cameras even give a chance to count drones.

Not quite as relaxing as wandering around with a pocket of pebbles, but probably more efficient and effective.

Quote Originally Posted by prakel View Post
    ....so here's an early reference
    ...and another:

She may take one or more oientation flights to mark the location of her hive within three to five days after she has emerged from her cell and mating sometimes occus on these flights.

'Queen Rearing' by Laidlaw & Eckert 1950