Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: History of Beekeeping

Hi prakel the link was working and I have downloaded it 4 times without realising
    Very interesting article thanks

Sent from my LIFETAB_S1034X using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Still on the history topic, St Modonmoc is the Patron saint of Bees in Ireland there is a stained glass window to the saint in Farnaught church in Co Leitrim is was put up by Rev. Joseph Garvan Digges who is considered to be the Father of Irish Beekeeping . Rev. Digges was private Chaplain to the Clements Family – Earls of Leitrim at their Lough Rynn Estate, Mohill and served at Farnaught and Mohill Churches. His book, first published in 1904, “The Irish Bee Guide” is regarded as the standard book of beekeeping in Ireland and the best of the general guides to beekeeping published in the British Isles.( I have a link to a PDF doc of the book if anyone interested) Here is a photo of the stained glass window.I have a link to a bit more about him if you are interested.
    http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/images/i...83010-p015.jpg
    http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/images/i...83010-p017.jpg That's him surrounded by the bees that followed him from Wales.

Quote Originally Posted by Greengage View Post
    His book, first published in 1904, “The Irish Bee Guide” is regarded as the standard book of beekeeping in Ireland and the best of the general guides to beekeeping published in the British Isles.
    Manley, who himself revised Digges' book in the 1940s offers some gossipy background information:

Another personality in beekeeping and the author of another guide to the beekeeping hobby was JRG Digges who started The Irish Bee Journal in, I believe, 1901, and followed this up by writing and publishing The Irish Bee Guide in 1904. This was a somewhat larger book than the Cowan guide and was written in a more poetical style. Unfortunately it led to trouble....

.....on publication of the Irish book Cowan claimed that Digges had infringed his copyright. A number of blocks that Digges borrowed from various appliance dealers and others were claimed as his property by Cowan, and Digges was faced with the alternative of signing a stringent apology or loosing his book; so he swallowed his pride and the apology was framed and triumphantly displayed on the walls of the headquarters of the British Beekeeper's Association for many years.....

Honey Farming by R.O.B Manley