Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Hive straps, am I missing something?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by madasafish View Post
    They have 11% off on Black Friday - and maybe Sat as well.

I'v bought some of their standard brood boxes and supers (langs) and for £8 each the quality is excellent and far better than my DIY (and safer! as two thirds of an index finger attests)
    And they do National stuff too

Thanks for the info madasafish I wonder if Mrs DR would notice me ordering a few under the cover of Christmas shopping

Sent from my LIFETAB_S1034X using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    Thanks for the info madasafish I wonder if Mrs DR would notice me ordering a few under the cover of Christmas shopping

Sent from my LIFETAB_S1034X using Tapatalk
    Have 1000 Mann Lake Langstroth broods from about 5 years back in service here, many hardly used. If you want to see the quality they are not far away for you to look in and see.
    Would say that I bought the commercial grade and had very few rejects......would not recommend the budget grade.

Hi C4U
    Thanks for that info I will take your advice
    Why are there many of yours hardly used is it the frame size issues ?

A good few years back I bought 10 or so Thorn's 2nd quality cedar ones in their sale (Tayport at the time)
    They had a lot of knots and were a bit more of a pain to put together (the Smith top edge can split if its tight)
    They are all still in use though and turned out to be a good buy

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    Why are there many of yours hardly used is it the frame size issues ?
    Just the sheer number we bought (partly to make the shallow boxes largely redundant)....just as the EFB outbreak and run of poor seasons bit. All have had a couple of runs through now, but our Langstroth wooden unit is only in the vicinity of 500 hives, and it was calculated to takes us up to >3 deeps per hive. Since 2009/10 we have had a run of poor seasons, only one decent one in the series since then, and had to cope with the very heavy losses of three years ago, so have been doing a lot of firefighting and rebuilding in that unit. Pretty well back on track now so hope to use most of them next season (beekeepers eternal optimism).

Smith hives outproduce wooden Langs in this area, and I understand very well about the frail top edges of the fronts and backs. The beekeeper who is also the woodworker here spends part of his winter repairing them.