Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Hive straps, am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by madasafish View Post
    I place my newly built stand legs in small plastic bowls and add Creosote substitute and old oil. Leave to soak for a week.
    Then remove bowl and leave to stand on old newspaper for two weeks..so the surplus drains away.
    I'll try that, I've been sealing mine with silicone but it's expensive, your treatment probably lasts longer (sounds like a job for gloves I wouldn't want it on my skin too often )

Quote Originally Posted by EK.Bee View Post
    I'll try that, I've been sealing mine with silicone but it's expensive, your treatment probably lasts longer (sounds like a job for gloves I wouldn't want it on my skin too often )
    Err the reason why I leave it for two weeks is that the mix kills grass and worms and insects..( although I've never seen any dead bees as a result.)

Quote Originally Posted by madasafish View Post
    Err the reason why I leave it for two weeks is that the mix kills grass and worms and insects..( although I've never seen any dead bees as a result.)
    I was just about to say, " I bet that keeps the grass down around the hive"
    Old engine oil is a great preservative though, I use it on fence posts before sinking them.

I can still remember a few of the (very) old-boys soaking floors and broods in engine oil. Probably still a popular method in some parts of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by prakel View Post
    I can still remember a few of the (very) old-boys soaking floors and broods in engine oil. Probably still a popular method in some parts of the world.
    I am not exactly a spring chicken....

In Which some years ago they tested preservative for sheds
    Old engine oil came out on top

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    In Which some years ago they tested preservative for sheds
    Old engine oil came out on top
    I treat fenceposts with it..

I followed mbc's tip and ordered the Mann Lake catalog gosh those Langstroth hives are a good price I might have to think about buying some
    Theres lots of good Winter reading in there

I followed mbc's tip and ordered the Mann Lake catalog gosh those Langstroth hives are a good price I might have to think about buying some
    I'm looking after a few till the spring for a friend who lost his site at the end of the summer. Perfectly good, serviceable boxes for the money (despite what some other people who've never even held one have told me ).

Theres lots of good Winter reading in there
    They have 11% off on Black Friday - and maybe Sat as well.

I'v bought some of their standard brood boxes and supers (langs) and for £8 each the quality is excellent and far better than my DIY (and safer! as two thirds of an index finger attests)