Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hive straps, am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by mbc View Post
    ... check if some of the rocks weren't big enough for that hoole last night ... I'm about half way round so not too bad so far. I'm
    I'm? I'm what? ... can someone check that mbc hasn't been wrenched from the keyboard by that mighty wind ... ?

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    I'm? I'm what? ... can someone check that mbc hasn't been wrenched from the keyboard by that mighty wind ... ?
    under one of the rocks?

Blog Entries

A hive flew past him as he was typing and as he tried to catch it his hand came off the keyboard.

If it was Prakel I would have suggested a cliff hanger (ending)

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    .....a cliff hanger (ending)
    lol. Almost been the case on a couple of occasions.

Peterborough, and into the flatlands to the north and east ...

Thanks, looks like a few options then including the Thornes sale and Spanset (I've found the lightweight straps in one of their catalogues but It would have to be an association purchase as I'll never use 40!).

I've had a couple of hive stands sink and tilt in the soft fen soil so I hadn't considered extra weights - maybe if I redesign the hive stands ......

Thornes ones seem good from the sale last year and price was only a few quid.

Re your stands sinking, you need to increase the surface area of the stand leg on the ground thereby reducing the pressure per square cm. I would use a paving slab or something similar and that should help make it more stable.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

For anyone interested in stainless ratchet straps, I'm a mariner by trade and for a good few years have used a firm called a.p. lifting ( helps that my dad was an agent for them for years) I get mine free usually, but if you call them and if possible speak to a brummy called Chris( tell him sandy MacKenzie put you onto him) you'll find the 25mm ratchets plus straps come in around a fiver.

Peterborough, and into the flatlands to the north and east ...

Quote Originally Posted by alclosier View Post
    Thornes ones seem good from the sale last year and price was only a few quid.

Re your stands sinking, you need to increase the surface area of the stand leg on the ground thereby reducing the pressure per square cm. I would use a paving slab or something similar and that should help make it more stable.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
    Thanks, I'll see if Thornes have them in January.

I think I may redesign the stands and go for something a bit more like a pallet. The legged stands do well in the garden, and are a nice height, but have occasionally sunk on the edge of fields.

To date I've been popping hives next to the oil seed rape in spring, but I also wonder if I'm better choosing a particular site and setting it up a bit better. That way I could set up some paving slab bases etc.

(Thanks also SDM, a good option if Thorne doesn't come through)

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Avoid the yellow economy straps. I bought a couple and had the same experience as you. They bleached white and snapped in two midway through summer. I tied the ends again, but I don't trust them now.
    Last edited by Mellifera Crofter; 19-11-2015 at 08:57 AM.